KFC launches trial of horrific "Chicken Donut"

Not surprised. This is the same company that brought us:

9 Likes

Judging by my barely suppressed vomit reflex upon viewing the picture I’m going to go with “not craving”. In fact, I’m now more likely to avoid KFC in case I happen to see this monstrosity. Or, worse yet, see someone eating…nope nope…gotta not think about that.

1 Like

Gotta admit, I felt a connection with the lead in Iron Man after Tony Stark was rescued. The first thing he wanted was “an American cheeseburger.” That would’ve been my choice, too.

6 Likes

If it were Gus’ Fried Chicken on a Krispy Kreme, I’d be inclined to try it, though.

6 Likes

Especially considering that it has in fact been done before, it’s not nearly as questionable as some of the alternatives.

Yeah there are definitely classic fair/amusement parks foods. Things like funnel cake and corn dogs. And going back to the worlds fairs these things have always been big places to launch new food service products and packaged goods or a turn a regional specialty into a national trend.

But the wacky one upping seems to have started when the American press became obsessed with Scottish Chipper’s willingness to deep fry anything. Particularly the deep fried Mars bars. Deep fried candy bars, oreos and other sweets became a fair food fad and that seemed to lead to the awards And contest for who could introduce the newest wackiest thing. For a long time it seemed to be about deep frying things that couldn’t be deep fried. Like cola and butter. The Luther definitely seems to have shifted it towards make a sandwich on something inappropriate for a sandwich.

3 Likes

Wikipedia really knows how to turn a phrase, don’t they (we?) ?

1 Like

I have had donut ended burgers at the State Fair in Tulsa, along with deep fried butter.

Yes you read that right

A half stick of deep fried butter.

The outside of it was like the best cornbread ever but the inside was still cold solid butter. I didn’t eat that part.

America, land of Donald Trump and the permanently clogged arteries that vote for him

Came to say this. Not sure why this is even noteworthy what with chicken and waffles being a perfectly acceptable Thing.

5 Likes

My first thought was that pesky Fried Chicken Flu…

Symptoms

Cause of Outbreak
3 Likes

I tried deep fried butter at the Big E a few years back. They did it as little puff pastry balls filled with frozen butter and then deep fried. The result was just a hollow ball of dough with melted butter inside. Not worth a repeat trip.

The only deep fried sweet that I’ve tried that was more than just a gimmick was, surprisingly, a deep fried Twinkie. The ‘cream filling’ sort of melded into the spongey pastry and it ended up as a sort of creamy beignet, dusted with powdered sugar and raspberry sauce. Would happily get again.

4 Likes

Deep fried Oreos are a favorite of my girlfriend I’ve had those too, they arent bad

2 Likes

To me, the taste of eggs doesn’t combine well with maple syrup or ketchup. My childhood was full of incidents when siblings would try to get me to retch by eating egg sandwiches dripping with ketchup or french toast soaked in maple syrup where I could see or smell it. :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

Only on scrambled eggs. Also one morning when I was trying to make up my mind on ketchup or tabasco I thought “both?” and grabbed the sriracha. It is the now the topping of choice for me.

4 Likes

Reading this, I realized it’s the combination with sweet flavors that bothers me. I can enjoy tomato-based sauces with eggs if they are spicy. On a scale of mild salsa to habanero, how hot is sriracha?

4 Likes

It depends on the brand/sauce. I had been getting the Trader Joe’s which is mild but still very tasty and now have some Huy Fong proper and it is spicier, about like a good Jalapeno hot.

3 Likes

3 Likes

This is what pot legalization has wrought.

3 Likes

That is a subjective question. I find it mild, to the point where I consider it more of a garlic sauce than a chill sauce, but other people find it too hot.

I regularly use ghost pepper sauce though, so I am at the extreme end of chilli consumption.

It is rated at being between 1000-2500 SHU which ranks it as being as hot as a mild jalapeno, if that helps.

7 Likes

The chicken-and-doughnut meal will cost $5.50 for one doughnut and $7.50 for two doughnuts. … KFC said customers can also add a doughnut — served hot — to any meal for $1.

Then why would I get the chicken-and-two-doughnut meal for $7.50, when I could get the chicken-and-one-doughnut meal plus a doughnut for $5.50 + $1 = $6.50?

2 Likes