KFC launches trial of horrific "Chicken Donut"

Wow. I used to be able to eat hot jalapeños, before a bad reaction to a local restaurant’s signature Firecracker burrito. It had a variety of chopped up peppers with seeds inside, and a poblano down the middle to resemble a fuse. :hot_face:

After that, I decided to stick with mild peppers. That was before sriracha started showing up everywhere. That rating looks like it would be safe to try, though.

3 Likes

The seeds aren’t hot, but the pith that they are attached to is. Not that this will help anyone sensitive to capsaicin, unless someone is trying to persuade them to eat a seedless carolina reaper or something.

There is still a lot of subjectivity though, two different chillis of the same heat can be hot in very different ways. I would suggest trying a small amount first, and having something fatty to take the heat away if it is too hot. Ice cream works well if you aren’t vegan, but water won’t help much.

4 Likes

Mr. Lileks must have had a crystal ball.

5 Likes

When that Firecracker triggered an attack of acid reflux, I really wished I had ordered horchata instead of a beer.

5 Likes

OK, that I can get behind.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Actual Thai sriracha is milder than American Huy Fong. Which sits right below fresh Jalapeno on the Scoville Scale. I find Huy Fong has that really stingy, teeth aching type of spicyness that habanero type peppers seem to have. It might not be particularly hot but its an unpleasant kind of hot.

The Thai sauces tend to have the lip tingling, back of the throat kind of heat. And they’re thinner, less sweet and have more flavor. So if you aren’t too into spicy look for some Shark Sriracha.

5 Likes

What an unusual way to spell ‘late stage capitalism’.

6 Likes

I understand how you could look at this sandwich and say “Eh, that’s a bit much. No thanks.”
I understand how you could look at this sandwich and say “I don’t think I want to eat that.”

I do not understand how you could look at this sandwich and say “I don’t see how anyone would like this”. Savory chicken? Sweet donuts? This is going to go together really well.

(I mean, they have made a few mistakes - it needs a good, sharp cheddar. Possibly an Egg. And while KFC’s chicken is… I mean, a good, spicy chicken like BoJangle’s, Popeye’s, or Gus’s would really set this off.)

2 Likes

This is getting out of hand. Doesn’t the American fast food industry owe comedian Jim Gaffigan some royalties or free food at this point?

1 Like

well, i might think it’s awful, and you might think it’s awful, but i’m 100% sure that KFC – are they still owned by Pepsi/YUM Foods? – i’m 100% sure that they are not going into this sort of thing without a LOT of confidence. they must have done taste tests or something. the fast food game is not for the gambler, not when you are one of the big players. i bet they make a ton of money off of this thing.

2 Likes

Innovations like these help me to appreciate the autoimmune disorder that keeps me far, far away from innovations like these.

3 Likes

Wishing they would just copy Chic-fil-a’s sandwich, or Popey’s.

The Double Down was delicious. I ate about seven of them.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting–was looking to see if someone else recognized this food-horror besides me.

3 Likes

I blame chicken and waffles. To be sure, it will be a hit around here, for those that can afford it.

2 Likes

They should just wrap a donut around that and call it a triple down. Or do that and then put two MORE chicken patties around the donut.

“Pizza? Now that’s what I call a taco!”

7 Likes

:musical_note: never too much, never too much :musical_note:

4 Likes

Give it up KFC. You lost this year. There’s always next year. I eat fried chicken all yer round but some people think of it as a summer treat.

Are you posting this from the cardiac unit at your local hospital?

3 Likes