Why is Squid Game such a huge international hit?

I don’t really agree. Mind you that i’ve seen Koreans that are fluent in both languages are posting examples of the existing translation and their version and there is a difference. Seems dismissive to what actual Koreans are saying that the translation hasn’t been great, i get that translating is a difficult task but it seems that the general opinion for those that understand the language is that it wasn’t a good effort for Squid Game.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, the “English” subtitles and the “English (CC)” subtitles use completely different translations, and it seems that the “CC” version is much worse than the regular “English” version.

4 Likes

I think the show is worth watching from what i’ve gathered, the subtitles get people 95 or 98% of the way there so it’s not a big deal. I don’t plan to watch it in the immediate future so i’m ok with waiting, i know i’ll watch it some day :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

I saw a thing on Twitter about the difference between the English and English (CC) subtitles.
From what I can gather, the English (CC) subtitles are for the hard of hearing and match the English dub. Whereas the English subtitles are closer to a straight Korean to English translation.

3 Likes

This is a common thing with anime DVDs as well, where the dub script and subtitle script can often be quite different - the dub will usually be closer to colloquial English and will alter the flow and wording of sentences to try and better match the characters’ lip movements on-screen.

It became a thing for a short while to only offer subtitles that matched the dub script on home video releases - a practice fans called “dubtitling”, or to accidentally only include one English subtitle track.

6 Likes

I like Netflix because of the exposure to international content that I would’ve most likely lost out on otherwise. Aside from Dutch, British, Japanese and American stuff I’ve now also seen a French show (Lupin), a Spanish one (Casa de Papel) and now this one from South Korea. Of course, it’s all relatively high production value stuff targeted for mass appeal, but you still get some exposure to other cultures.

4 Likes

Pedant here. It’s blood “spatter” not “splatter”. I learned that from Dexter.

2 Likes

Did someone say KPOP MUSIC VIDEOS!!! Behold…the miracle that is TWICE!!

“What is Love?”

3 Likes
7 Likes

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I have not watched the show yet, but I did watch this Babish episode, which had me in stitches…

7 Likes

I really really liked it - but if you have high anxiety already and don’t enjoy that sort of thing, you may want to pass. This is a very high tension series - but the tension and release cycle is probably what makes it so compelling.

This is a thinly veiled metaphor for “the rat race/maze”. As one character said early on, “We are going to be ground up and killed out there as well. In here we at least have a chance of getting rich.” (paraphrase)

6 Likes

I think it is a bit of a fluke that this won the cultural viral dice roll. There’s another series kind of like this from Japan on Netflix - people are kidnapped, forced to play death games etc in Alice in Borderland. But I don’t see much fanfare about it. It is possible that part of what people find compelling is the characters and their backstories, like the main guy in Squidgames, the gambler.

It also has more surreal sets and styling. Less badass sci fi and more surreal weirdness.

4 Likes

I just finished the season last night. It’s really good when you consider this is a recycled formula. Lots of good moments in the last 2 episodes.

1 Like

If you like a bit of Tarantino in your K-Pop try Sunmi.

1 Like

Yup. This is why fansubs are a thing. (I’m not even going to get into the ‘dub vs sub’ war.)
And while we are on the tangent of anime, I kind of prefer fansubs with the original voice actors over a commercially done dub, because a lot of the times the company who is doing the dub makes… changes to the content. (aka 4kids ruined several good anime)

2 Likes

I quite liked Alice In Borderland, but I couldn’t get into Squid Game. Definitely different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The “Running Man” genre has certainly come back in vogue. You can’t throw a rock without hitting a dystopian-future-game-show thing.

4 Likes

Aw man, The Running Man was such a great 80s movie.

And I will never not take someone mentioning to post one of my favorite techno tracks that uses a sound bite from that movie.

Also - re Squid Game, I think one think I liked with the Visual Aesthetic. From the game workers symbol coded face masks, to the game room designs, to the weird, Escher-like stairs and door ways.

2 Likes

The gateway drug for me was the multiple-award-winning Parasite/Gisaengchung

2 Likes