Squid Game costumes banned from some elementary schools after children imitate the show

Originally published at: Squid Game costumes banned from some elementary schools after children imitate the show | Boing Boing

Seems like they wasted an opportunity to teach kids about capitalism and debt. Although financial literacy isn’t really a priority in public K-12 schools.

19 Likes

That’s ironic, since american schools serve only to train kids to participate in IRL squid games.

It seems unfair to try and hide that fact from the children.

20 Likes

FTFY.

19 Likes

My kid’s entire 4th grade class is obsessed with it (including my son), mostly from Roblox and some from memes on youtube. I asked him if any of his friends had actually watched it and he said a couple claimed they did but he didn’t really believe them. I know one of his teachers had to ban them from talking about it. I did try to at least impart some of the actual theme of the show beyond just the violence (I actually haven’t watched it but my husband did).

12 Likes

The show isn’t something I would want my kids watching at this age. Then again I was also one of the few people in my age group who grew up without watching any of the classic slasher films like A Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th so my idea of what’s an appropriate level of violence for younger viewers might be different.

16 Likes

I’m not sure that some kids need that much encouragement.

I recall participating (mainly as the nerdy victim) in a lot of sincerely vicious dodgeball games in school, and that was many years ago.

12 Likes

I’m actually surprised that it would be popular among elementary school age kids because younger folks are often averse to reading subtitles. If that’s what it takes to get kids to appreciate subtitled cinema maybe it’s worth it.

If parents are letting their kids watch this show dubbed in english then they really are monsters.

12 Likes

Where are we at with “Drunk anti-masker on an airplane” costumes?

15 Likes

That is a scary one!

9 Likes

That’s not fair. I used to watch atrociously dubbed Kung Fu and Godzilla movies all the time as a kid.

16 Likes

Are American grade school kids really watching a show in Korean? Is it dubbed?

edit: beat by @Otherbrother

2 Likes

Bah - the dub is fine. Though one can note differences in the subtitles.

But yeah, I grew up with no cable or VCR - so my exposures to movies were fairly limited until HS and I could go to friends houses.

First R movie I saw was 6th or 7th grade and it was the movie House. Which I think was a pretty decent first time R rated movie.

3 Likes

Exactly. We have been imitating Squid Game since forever, and it’s only now that we’re starting to care?

This isn’t like that. It isn’t some guy in a weird mask chasing teenagers with a chainsaw or whatever. This is billionaires pitting the rest of us poor schlubs against each other in a massive Battle Royale for their amusement.

It’s always stuff like this that hits home for me way harder than slasher movie violence.

13 Likes

Are American school kids really unable to read subtitles?

2 Likes

We had to ban my oldest son from watching Samurai Jack after he started “practicing” the moves on my youngest daughter. Kids are weird.

11 Likes

They are able, and given how popular anime is, many are probably adept at it. But it is dubbed as well.

Which is hardly a new concept and one YAs and kids are already into. Hunger Games, Maze Runner, heck Fortnite is a Battle Royale.

I think the kids will be alright.

7 Likes

What i meant was, capitalism is basically Squid Game.

Yep. And the saturation of this concept is making people jaded. I know it is for me. Which is why I was so disappointed with Squid Game. I’ve seen all these concepts before, albeit maybe not so gratuitously, and the show didn’t offer anything new.

5 Likes

I think it did a great job at creating a cycle of tension and release.

2 Likes

I wish that more films and TV shows really leaned into the subtitles in the way that the Russian Night Watch vampire movie trilogy did. Their animated subtitles were very well done, enhancing the storytelling, and the director was personally involved in the art direction for them.

4 Likes