Squid Game costumes banned from some elementary schools after children imitate the show

We are watching it with my kid (12 years old, grade 7). We recently received an email from the principal of his school that it is inappropriate for kids, games like it are banned on the playground etc. etc.

So kid’s games are banned on the playground? Red light Green light?

My take is that if a kid is going to watch a show with violence I’d prefer it be ‘real’. No sanitized graceful bloodless deaths with no meaningful consequences for the ‘good guys’. People who kill people for whatever reason have to deal with the moral and emotional after effects (not laughing over a beer later that day in the denouement). And watch it with the kid, and talk to him about what it means and implies.

I feel the same way about sex in movies or tv. Our culture is perversely ok with John Wick slaughtering people by the dozens while not at all ok with nudity or sex. It is absurd. If a move has some sex that isn’t gratuitous or rape I have no problem with my kids seeing it. I draw the line at rape - it is rarely worth actually filming and almost every time I’ve been exposed to it in a film it has felt gratuitous and exploitive (looking at you Game of Thrones and Sopranos).

5 Likes

As a kid, I obsessively watched the dubbed versions of these on the Late Late Show and Dialing for Dollars, and I think that early exposure led to a greater appreciation of the originals as an adult.

2 Likes

I would so much prefer schools take this as an opportunity teach children not to mindlessly imitate things on TV rather than have a freakout over a TV Show and use it as an excuse to further police-statify children’s experience of the Internet.

4 Likes

Are American school kids prejudiced against languages other than English? Many of them.
Are American school kids put off by doing the additional cognitive work of reading while watching TV? Many of them.
Are American school kids coddled by culture that usually caters to them specifically? Yes.

Yeah. Those American kids, who have so much control over the world. /s

4 Likes

same scenario with GirlChild’s 5th grade class.

It’s not surprising that they’re obsessed with knowing about the (taboo to their age group, yet wildly popular in general culture) show.

But banning costumes and games? How about just saying “play red light/green light all you want, but no “elimination” or hurting your classmates…”.

3 Likes

A few times during the show when they announced the next game, I expected it to be dodgeball. Not sure if that’s not as popular with kids in Asia, or if the writers thought choosing that game would be too obvious. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I remember schools banning nunchaku after a few unfortunate incidents involving young Bruce Lee fans. Good times…for those of us who avoided hitting ourselves in the head. :wink:

Fight Me Kung Fu GIF by BrownSugarApp

16 Likes

If you avoided hitting yourself in the head (or balls), you didn’t play with nunchucks.

They were illegal in Texas until 2019. I’m sure they only became legal because someone wanted to attach two guns together with a chain.

12 Likes

So true, I just watched…and tried very hard not to laugh.
:smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Isnt it the reverse? Didn’t SG copy school uniforms?

In Taiwan, most school uniforms already look very very similar to those, just the colors are different and the numbers are smaller.

3 Likes

That’s why we called them numb chucks.

7 Likes

If they are, that attitude won’t go away when they get older, and it’s why the civilized world hates Americans.

2 Likes

One night my then 6 year old daughter was acting particularly hellacious and got sent to her room early.

About 10 minutes later she comes bursting out, a t shirt over her head like a bank robber and a toy police car, wailing siren and all, in her hand and yells, “WELCOME TO THE PURGE!!!”

Kids are awesome, they’re the only ones that get it.

7 Likes

My 6 year old daughter asked to watch Squid Games. She didn’t know about the violence, she just played the games on Roblox. I declined to allow her to watch.

Related, a friend of mine told her 11 year old daughter she couldn’t watch it. So the daughter looked up spoilers and send every single one to her mother.

5 Likes

The nunchuck thing famously led to some weird censorship decisions when it came to the Ninja Turtles in Britain: James Ferman: The British Film Censor Who Hated Nunchucks

4 Likes

I know nothing about the show. But the uniforms look pretty cool. Im going to hazard a guess and say that’s probably the real reason kids are wearing them.

1 Like

Group costumes have become increasingly popular especially with teenagers. Last year it was all about “Among Us” costumes. This year Squid Games is a good fit at the right time

4 Likes

Get that 11 year old on a retainer. They have a future.

3 Likes

My 14-year old daughter watched a couple of episodes with subtitles, although I don’t think she got passed more than about E3 or E4. I figure if I could watch history documentaries about the actual horrors of human history at 14 (and I did) she can handle some over-the-top splatter gore.

1 Like

Also, I’m old enough to remember games like:

Red rover Red Rover - which inevitably was just whole body on body violence, attempting to broach a line

Butts up 7-up - I think the whole point was just to hurl tennis balls at people’s butts

And the now infamous “Smear the Queer” - basically tackle tag (and in our young minds had nothing to do with actually being LGBTQ+)

2 Likes