Utah elementary student wore a Nazi costume to school parade

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/04/utah-elementary-student-wore-a.html

3 Likes

Now that Nazis are banned, what can we point to as the limit of free speech?

Might want to check on what Mommy & Daddy are up to at home…

tumblr_inline_pqutlklAqK1sviztv_1280

40 Likes

No one has “banned” Nazis; feel free to dress up as one, if placing a target on your own back is what you really want to do.

38 Likes

First they came for the Nazi’s and i said nothing…

…wait, because it WAS the Nazis coming for people.

(:wink: really hope you forgot the \s)

41 Likes

From your lips…

18 Likes

Peas in a pod.

12 Likes

And further schools have been repeatedly ruled not a free speech zone for students. You are a minor, the staff are ruled in loco parentis and dressing up as a Nazi is going to cause tension between students so that shit should be rightly banned.

38 Likes

Do you think that’s the first and only costume that school wouldn’t have allowed, now or in the past?

I don’t remember Elementary school as being an environment of guaranteed and absolute free speech, YMMV.

16 Likes

oh and then there is this dude now too…

13 Likes

Your implication is that this is new. It is not new. Hate speech has always been limited, since the ink on the Constitution was still wet.

What has changed over time is what has constituted hate speech. Wearing an armband that is shorthand for “kill all the Jews” should definitely fit the definition.

38 Likes

First they came for the Nazis…and then nothing else happened because they got rid of the damn Nazis…

47 Likes

Best version of the Coward’s Lament that I have ever read.

24 Likes

8 Likes

When I was a kid, one year I went as a French resistance fighter, influenced by stereotypes on Hogan’s Heroes or maybe GI Joe (the doll). I’m surprised it influenced me enough at that age.

So I had a dark sweater and beret, a shoulder bag that might have been WWII surplus, and a darkened face from rubbing a burnt cork over my face. (Not “blackface” but darken the face so I’d be less seen in the dark while sabotaging train tracks.)

A stereotype image, but no pistol or submachine gun, I’m not sure why I thought that wasn’t imoortant. (Another time I dressed as a Mountie, and did have one of my toy pistols along.)

It was all kind of wasted. At one house a woman said “it’s a mailman” . But then if you dress up as something more obscure, yku have to be stereotype or carry a sign.

But I’d never even think if dressing as a nazi.

10 Likes

Even the principal in South Park knew better than to allow Cartman to dress as a Nazi in school. Not that the improvised “scary ghost” costume that she made to cover it up was much better.

18 Likes

I don’t know exactly how this work, but is it just “something must be done,” or does it mean something more?
The article doesn’t provide any detail about what was the role of the teacher and the principal in the event.
I can see why the teacher might be targeted, but getting the principal suspended make it looks like someone has to be punished for it.

1 Like

How many times have we heard stories wherein the principal sent a child home for breaking the dress code (too short a skirt, low cut shirt, offense images, etc).

If they are the responsible gatekeeper in those cases, they are also responsible for these.

17 Likes

Hey! Don’t pigeonhole Nazis. They wanted to exterminate a lot of other groups too.

15 Likes

to fair it was a very frightening costume… :roll_eyes: …in all the wrong ways.

9 Likes