Why minorities are compelled to "stay in their place"

Continuing the discussion from ADL identifies 4.2 million anti-Semitic tweets from 3 million accounts last year:

This is true for all opressed groups anywhere, everywhere, and at any time in history.

It’s basic human psychology. Acknowledging and accepting the claims of the oppressed is tantamount to admitting that they (the oppressors) were wrong/bad/etc. And if they admit that, then their whole world-view begins to unravel and that scares the shit out of them.

8 Likes

Good point. What gets under my skin is how those who say they want to help oppressed groups suddenly flip over once the oppressed learn to stand up on their own.

1 Like

Thanks for this post. What bothers me is when some members of the oppressed side with their oppressors and become de facto oppressors of others.

7 Likes

Relevant:

5 Likes

Prime examples of self-hating Black people who help perpetuate their own oppression and denigration:

• Joy Villa
  • Kanye West
  • Omarosa
  • David Clark
  • Stacey Dash
5 Likes

Speaking only from my own limited experience knowing a few folks like that, they seem to fall into two camps.
One is purely Machiavellian doing whatever it takes to get ahead. The other is apparently actual internalization of the bigotry leading to self-loathing and rejection of themselves and anyone like themselves.
I get the first one, we all know people like that with or without racism being involved, but the second, omg, I just can’t even get my head around the path leading to that dark place. :sob:

5 Likes

I understand it and I dont at the same time. Theres been a thing on twitter lately for some jews to put a flame emoji :fire: after their names as a kind of virtue signaling of “dont hate me, I’m one of the ‘good Jews’ who agrees with the (white) liberal majority”.

Assimilation is a powerful desire, especially if you look close enough that you blend into the crowd and can change your name to something that isn’t so alien. It looks like an achievable goal and something that will “make them stop hating us”. The thing is it sorta even works to a degree.

Until it doesnt.

When it doesnt it seems to be all the more shocking to those who worked so hard to blend in. The reaction at that point seems to be to blame members of the group who dont try to assimilate. To dig in further.

I cant call anyone a self hating Jew and never go as far as to try and borrow terms like “Uncle Tom” (we dont have an equivalent term that I know of) because the context is too different, the map doesnt fit the territory. That plus because I’m strongly affiliated with the religious cultural aspects of being bound to love my fellow Jews, I cant express hate at them no matter how much I disagree or think their actions are bad for us overall.

So again, I understand and dont at the same time.

I don’t agree. I think minorities “are compelled to stay in their place,” (i.e., to remain less valued human beings than “majorities”), to support and maintain the excessive self-value placed on themselves by those doing the compelling. When you find individuals viciously insistent on minorities being recognized only as subhuman, as “less than” majoritarians, you find people who will do anything to fend off what they know underneath it all to be the truth: that they themselves are worthless, despicable garbage.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.