Why my own culture is weird

But the sex that is talked about on TV is often based on subtle coercion if not outright violence.

I’m not sure I share that perspective, depending on what you mean by ‘often’. Even if we do find agreement on this, the point would be that depicting/implying/talking about sex isn’t very restricted. Nudity is. Which, given what I do consider to be a direct link with between the two, does seem to me to be a disconnect. But why does having different levels of permissiveness for depictions of violence vs nudity necessarily mean the culture has some kind of weird disconnect? I say it’s only because of the certain point of view that depictions of violence are ‘bad’ and nudity is fine. Absent that cultural view, the two aren’t related.

I’m of the ‘cultural relativism is bollocks’ school. I know all laws are local; I’ve read a truckload of scifi… but when it comes to such fundamental stimuli, it’s obvious which way the wind blows, regardless of any cultural idiosyncrasies.

Pretty sure it’s not too hard to nail down a few key things conducive to the flourishing of any flavour of humans, and vice versa… depending on how I look at your defence of American censorship priorities, it strikes me as anything from absurd and mind-boggling to plain laughable; I almost wonder whether you’re playing devil’s advocate.

i’m not really trying to defend anything or anyone, it just bugs me when people normalize every culture to what they think would be ideal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.