Why new parents (and almost-parents) need pertussis vaccines

And then we can mail them smallpox blankets.

1 Like

Free immunization to save the lives of newborns? Pshaw…you’ve got that commie pinko national health coverage, don’t you?

Good thing we’re willing to shut down our entire country rather than subject ourselves to something crazy like that.

4 Likes

My friend’s grandmother tells the tale of her brother, who as a barefooted child stepped on a nail and later played in the horse corral. He died of lockjaw soon thereafter.

1 Like

How often are you willing to assume that the nail you stepped on was sterile? Rusty nails generally have had plenty of exposure to the elements, and generally to the soil as well, if they’re lying there on the ground waiting for you to step on them. A tetanus shot might not be necessary… but then again, for all you know, it might. Cheap insurance.

1 Like

To the contrary - I’d assume that ANY puncture wound would be a potential tetanus vector.

ANY nail you find outdoors may have had plenty of potential exposure to tetanus bacteria, and conflating tetanus with rust is dangerously short-sighted.

It’s bad, stupid advice, and anyone taking a moment to think about it should know better.

2 Likes

What a weird thing to get bent outta shape about. Maggie knows that rust itself doesn’t cause tetanus; she said so in the post above yours. She’s renovating an old house. In the course of such renovation there will be many hazardous sharp corners, among them old nails. Many of them happen to be rusty, and many of the exposed points will be dirty enough to be more hazardous than, say, accidentally drawing blood while unloading the steak knives from the dishwasher. She’s not conflating tetanus with rust, just with the kind of old, dirty nails one encounters during demolition. Most of which, in an old house, can be described with the adjective “rusty.”

3 Likes

For instance canoeists should get tetanus shots because they are likely to be wading in around in anaerobic river muck.

We tend to forget just how horrible these diseases can really be. Tetanus creates a nerve toxin that causes muscle spams. You know how much a muscle spasm hurts? Yeah, what if it was your whole body?

“Opisthotonus.” (Tetanus), c.1809. Sir Charles Bell’s portrait of a soldier dying of tetanus. This painting by the Scottish surgeon Charles Bell was widely reproduced as lithographs and medical illustrations. Looks like Goya, yes?

Interestingly, this is the opposite of botulism toxin that causes paralysis. Same target? I’m too lazy to look it up. Also strange that botulism and tetanus are both anaerobic,

3 Likes

Is that like a real thing? Because the pertussis part should not have any egg proteins.

Those who ignore history are forced to repeat it and that goes for the many and varied ways people died for what today seem to have been random and minor causes. I’m happy to see a push-back to the anti-vac approach. I’m not a fan of big pharma and I put some of the blame for the distrust of vacs on their profits before public safety behavior pattern. But historically, babies, children, and adults died in droves when exposed to certain bacteria and viruses that until recently were part of our distant past. I hope we don’t live to see an anti-rabies vaccination movement and I’m sure there aren’t many people who would look forward to walking down the road only to be greeted by a stumbling, disoriented, frothing at the mouth animal.

2 Likes

How long does the OLD vaccine last? I bet mine was 45-50 years ago. I’ve had tetanus shots since then, but until tonight I was under the impression that I had lifelong protection from pertussis.

Congrats on the little one Maggie!!! Stay strong!!!

3 Likes

The best part of the Wikipedia entry is where it says this:

A version of the drink substituting Canadian rye whisky for scotch is
called a “Donald Sutherland” or Drambuie Shandy.

No one knows why the acellular vaccine is so ineffective.

I know… It’s because the structure of antigens in the whole cells is different; purified proteins have different structure than the same proteins embedded in the cellular membrane…

1 Like

Pretty much bang on with articles. However, I’ll add that part of it is that in a location where there are rusty nails, there are likely other things. Last time I snagged a rusty nail was under a floor in a business where I was cabling. It wasn’t the nail that concerned me as such. It was everything else down there. Rodent bait. Dead rats and mice. The lice that lived on the carcasses etc. It’s a dirty environment, and a ‘breeding ground’ for ‘bad things’. Now I of course scrubbed the area with soap and water, applied antiseptic and then sought medical attention. The trip-vac (Triple vaccine) was given as a precaution. At the end of the day, which is cheaper? A single shot of a vaccine, or treatment for tetanus if you’re wrong?

38 weeks? Go, Maggie!!

ForeverZero, if you’re allergic to the pertussis vaccine, then you really want the people around you to get it if they can, so they don’t pass it on to you.

I don’t know if my last tetanus shot was Tdap or just the vanilla tetanus; I suppose I should check. I was trying to catch my cat to take her to the vet, and she did not want to be shoved into a carrier cage, so I ended up with a deep puncture wound in my hand :frowning: Fortunately it didn’t quite cut through the tendon it nicked, but the doctor said I should get the shot partly because deep puncture wounds are always a tetanus risk, and cat bites are especially a risk because they’ve got sharp narrow pointy teeth and their mouths aren’t real clean.

Perfect environment for Hantavirus. What? You know what, just forget I said that. There’s no such thing. i’m just a silly person who makes up silly words - no such thing as Hantavirus.

Cats’ mouths not clean? When their perfect day would be spent eating live rodents and licking their own ass?

3 Likes

I don’t think any mammal’s mouths are particularly clean, whether you lick your own ass or not. Per the Mayo Clinic, human bites are “more dangerous” than animal bites.

Also, don’t knock licking your own ass until you’ve tried it. That’s what a friend told me. Once.

Every 10 years you should get a booster
http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/prevention.html