Why normal people are hideous

Absolutely. When I was a teen, do you have any idea how important it was to be just the right kind of non-conformist?

7 Likes

On the other hand, when you fail being a conformist and also fail being the “right” kind of nonconformist, you have all the freedom in the world to become whatever you want. Having no social position to lose is quite liberating.

Then explain the popularity of football/soccer/hockey/baseball/
, the popularity of endless soap operas, and the popularity of Trump and his ilk. And the matching unpopularity of physics/math/metallurgy/chemistry/biomed/sci-tech in general.

3 Likes

Honestly, it’s sad seeing the unwashed mob gathering together the time, energy and money to murder millions and destroy cities for the sake of a flag, deity, or economic system, when they could be doing all that much more efficiently.

5 Likes

If you want to judge people, judge them for the weapons they keep about the house, rather than the TV they watch. Snobbery is really hideous - irrespective of how it’s dressed up. It’s rarely the preserve of people who consider themselves ‘normal’, though.

1 Like

There’s a lot of truth to this actually.

I mean, is it sane to be in a world where ‘Sorry, I know this doesn’t make sense but those are the rules’ is an actual phrase? And we have people having their lives ruined over that little gem.

We need more people who realize that we’re living in what is essentially a really stupid, painfully cruel LARP that everybody’s playing because everybody else is.

5 Likes

Not just LARP. A farce, too.

I had way more interesting conversations about weapons than about soccer.

You never were in a group that talked about pop culture or soccer or coworkers or something similar and bored you to death?

1 Like

Also, please propose the rating algorithm, the mapping table of weapon to judgement.

1 Like
1 Like

Them: “I’m a vegan!”

Me: “Vega (α Lyr, α Lyrae, Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus. It is a relatively close star at only 25 light-years from Earth, and, together with Arcturus and Sirius, one of the most luminous stars in the Sun’s neighborhood.”

3 Likes

All LARP is a farce. The best LARP is so intentionally.

I have absolutely no doubt that you hold this to be the case.

Of course. But the skill of being interested in a wide range of things is something I’ve cultivated, and it helps to minimise boredom as well as maximise the benefit of conversations I encounter, and moreover, what short periods of boredom I experience are both tolerable and arguably useful. Even when people are talking about reality TV, I have an opinion on the genre (although I mostly avoid the specific shows) and furthermore, it’s a good topic from which to enter into wider issues (as Trump has discovered to his benefit and everyone else’s chagrin).

In fact, I’m pretty sure you’ve told me the same sort of thing, about preppers.

4 Likes

That’s a bit of a rough gear-change, but yeah, not a bad strategy overall.

2 Likes

I just pasted the first paragraph from Wikipedia.

Which is actually how I talk so it’s not like I’m misrepresenting anything.

1 Like

I told my little one just this week that normal people in and of themselves can be just fine - the danger is those normals who insist upon everybody else being normal.

4 Likes

Not a LARP per se, but close enough. Team Fortress 2.
(Never played it but very fond of the Engineer. Still fighting with the guitar theme, cannot seem to learn it.)

There are SO MANY things that are interesting. Why such focus on the stupid inflated hide sphere?

I am interested in a pretty wide range of things, from physics to electronics to biomed to astrophysics to energetics to infrastructure to materials and more. Still, people insist on being boring and requiring me to memorize phonebooks of useless trivia that change too fast to do it just once and be done with it, instead of being willing to talk about something that actually makes sense.

I saw bits and pieces of stuff but nothing that’d be enough to sustain conversation for longer than a couple dozens of seconds.

Yes, they are doing things that make sense.

The followers of Dobbs don’t KNOW the meaning of the word pretentious!

When JHVH-1 descends with his Celestial Saucer, your kind will be among the first with their back up against the wall.

#THE SLACK MUST RISE

7 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t get your point - you like a machinima series about a computer game you’ve never played? That’s pretty niche.

[quote]There are SO MANY things that are interesting. Why such focus on the stupid inflated hide sphere?[/quote] Why limit your interest to things that are not? Football occupies precisely the amount of my attention that I am happy with (that is, very little) but it can still be interesting.

Is it that you don’t understand normal social relations, or do you simply hold them in contempt? Because I’m getting a lot of the latter.

[quote]I saw bits and pieces of stuff but nothing that’d be enough to sustain conversation for longer than a couple dozens of seconds.
[/quote]

Don’t you think that the entire genre has complex consequences for the way we perceive ourselves and others, the way we seek to be, and the norms that govern our society? Don’t you think Bear Grylls is fucking up the way that the public see nature?

[quote]Yes, they are doing things that make sense.
[/quote]

No more sense than Bear Grylls. Often a lot less.

3 Likes

I suck in running around and realtime tactics. Not much sense for me to play. But the characters and the machinima are fun.

Sports medicine, biomechanics, doping
 yes. The rest is a grey mass of everything being the same. If you saw one match, you saw them all.

Both. I tried enough and failed enough. The contempt is the result of seeing and experiencing a bit too much of what it is about.

Yes, but priority-wise it goes somewhere to fourth or fifth lifetime of todo queues. It won’t help me and I have some materials engineering and electronics and biomed books to read.

Bear Who?

Bits and pieces more often than not make sense. If not, some are thankful for it being pointed out. Most of that stuff is engineering in one or another form, anyway.

“Normal”???

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.