Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

Nice summary!

Clinton’s eight-year term in the Senate produced bills to regulate video game violence and flag burning, both of which died in committee.

Bill Clinton’s eight-year term in the White House gave us an expanded Earned Income Tax Credit and a small children’s health insurance program — but also NAFTA, the 1994 crime bill, welfare reform, the Defense of Marriage Act, financial deregulation, and a grand bargain to gut Social Security that was only thwarted by a timely sex scandal.

The pragmatic, piecemeal, and irreproachably moderate achievements of Jimmy Carter are still more dispiriting. Even judged by the charitable standards of American liberalism, the forty-year balance sheet of “incremental progress” is decidedly negative.

Beltway pundits scoff at Sanders’s model of change …

They naturally fail to mention that as a matter of historical record, the Sanders model happened to produce Social Security, the National Labor Relations Act, the Voting Rights Act, Medicare, and Medicaid.

13 Likes

Well, the thread title question is moot for me now…Feeling the Bern at 7am is a good way to start the day (and, it’s worth noting, at least in my neck of the woods, a good way to skip the lines…)

14 Likes

Were you the only voter in the entire state? I hope I hope I hope!

5 Likes

Until Nov, anyway.

6 Likes

Nice little roundtable on Sanders. I don’t like it when people gush over politicians, but it was tolerable and the substance of the discussion really encompasses the “why” of whether or not to vote for Sanders.

3 Likes

Welp, @cowicide is gone once again:

Okay then.

1 Like

That was always going to happen. Hopefully in a few weeks, once Clinton has lost, we can move on.

I am not enjoying the needling that’s going on here on the political threads. I do feel as if we’re being trolled to an extent (but hey, it’s their website, free ice cream etc). I think I may need to avoid them. But it’s so hard!

4 Likes

I don’t know… I have no expectation that the powers that be are going to agree with me. But that’s okay. I don’t take it as a personal affront.

Seems like there is more here than meets the eye.

2 Likes

Are you saying Hillary is a Decepticon? Well, maybe. :grin:

6 Likes

Could be worse. Wait until Mark starts up with the Gary Johnson posts.

Hopefully Xeni will come out for Jill Stein.

6 Likes

I was actually talking about the new @cowicide banning!

But yeah, she’s surely a decepticon! Now the Transformers song is stuck in my head… Thanks!!! :wink:

6 Likes

It looks like it’s just a ban until May 10th.

2 Likes

Yep, it is. I guess he’ll come back then.

2 Likes

Still nearly 5 hours until polls close in New York. Waiting…

5 Likes

Exit polls are suggesting Clinton 53 : 47. With the margin of error from exit polls, it’s going to be a long night.

Look at the age and racial breakdowns in the exit polls. Sanders is winning voters ages 18 to 24 by a margin of 85 percent to 15 percent, while Clinton is winning voters ages 65 and over by a margin of 70 percent to 30 percent. Among racial groups, Sanders carries whites by 9 percentage points, while Clinton takes Latinos by 18 percentage points and blacks by 43 percentage points. All-in-all it makes for a closer race on the Democratic side (in the exit polls at least) than pre-election polls suggested.

Trump’s going to win by a landslide on the other side.

2 Likes

Or not. Shit.

Guess I’ll be sending some money to the Greens tomorrow.

7 Likes

God dammit New York.

7 Likes

At least jlw and our Egyptian friend will be happy, and I have alcohol.

Here’s to someone better, 2024.

12 Likes

2024? Maybe. If Clinton wins the general, I can’t see her winning again in 2020. She might not even run – she’d be 72.

Anyway, fuck the corporate media for constantly ignoring Sanders, and fuck the New York Dem’s disenfranchisement methods.

8 Likes

Ignoring superdelegates until the convention, Bernie still needs less than 56% of the remaining delegates to win, which was true after March 15. It’s still unlikely but still not impossible.

At least that’s what I’m hanging on to at the moment. :cold_sweat:

9 Likes