Why people don't return shopping carts

No joke. I was 4. Mom went in the house and left me in the car. I started the car. Put in drive and crashed it into the garage.

4 Likes

Nope. I only have a problem with people publicly shaming behavior they disagree with, as though their point of view is the only valid one.

oooh folks, let’s not do a parenting values fight. If you want to wade into that bloody (in the American sense) flaming troll war, head over to babycentre to have people tell you they pity your child, and that CPS should take your children away. (seriously…no.matter.what.the.topic.is…who says women can’t be internet trolls?!) Fuck they need some decent moderation over there.

4 Likes

Your kid can hotwire a car in ten seconds?

10 Likes

My “take your rights away” is probably over the top. But I’m more POd at the idea somehow someone is a bad parent because they don’t want to leave their kid alone in a car. Or someone that makes the kid have developmental issues.

Word. I like to leave the carts to give all these compassionate, altruistic people more of a chance to shine.

2 Likes

Don’t think so, but I am amazed a UK TV exec has not yet commissioned a pilot of this concept for UK TV given how much controversy Indian call centres adopted by UK companies has caused over the years. It might require a bit too much effort to avoid being a re-run of “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum” though.

The word has gone out that the series of It Ain’t Half Hot Mum will never be shown in the future on the channel," an insider was quoted as saying. "When the series was aired in the 1970s it was a different time and the notions and sympathies of modern cultural Britain were a long way away

(Apologies for the Express link. Only marginally less bad than the Mail.)

1 Like

Well, if you’re leaving the keys in the car with a kid, you probably should have your parental rights revoked.

1 Like

Man, the sarcastic self-righteous pricks are out in full force today

2 Likes

That literally makes no sense. My three year old is equally safe (or in danger from your stand point) while he is riding secured in his seat in the back while I’m driving as he is secured in his seat with the car locked while I walk 20’ to return a cart. An infant I can vaguely understand, but again - if you are the only adult and are driving the car you are not paying 100% of your time to them. They shouldn’t have the ability to hurt themselves at any point while strapped in the vehicle…if they can there is a bigger problem here than walking away for 15 seconds.

I’m not advocating leaving your child in the car unattended, like lets go to Starbucks sit down and have a latte… But it’s like 20’, never leave your sight, kind of thing. But hey whatever makes you feel like a good parent (lord knows I rode around plenty in vehicles not secured to anything as a child…seatbelts hahaha, besides Blazers with the seats folded down don’t have working seatbelts in the back.)

2 Likes

I would say that if you’re afraid that a stranger is going to abduct your child from a grocery store parking lot if you turn your back for 30 seconds, you may be shopping in the wrong neighborhood.
If you don’t feel safe leaving your kids in the car to return your cart, that’s fine. No one cares.

1 Like

If he figures out how to work the clutch, shift, and steer while being less than 40" tall…well in at least one aspect I will feel damn proud as a parent.

I will also add this, when asked whose car he liked to ride in more, his unscripted answer - daddy’s, it’s louder, VRROOOOMMMM.

5 Likes

It’s 2017. You have a stick?!? What kind of backworld animal are you?!???

That’s the lazy argument. You can do better!

Forget about parenting. Plenty of people are too infirm to return their carts. Young people don’t understand that at all.

1 Like

That’s why you don’t leave the keys in the ignition.

4 Likes

The kind that still drives a car from 2004? Besides it doesn’t even have 200k miles on it yet…it’s just getting broke in.

4 Likes

A local Superstore has extra-large spots for handicapped/mom’s/etc, and people frequently leave some carts there, which works because there’s room for them and cars, and it’s handy for the next people. The shorty carts also make good stealth walkers.

1 Like

Hey. I’m not infirm but some days. After a few hours of soccer practice with my U18 girls and I am not willing to take more than the absolute bare minimum of steps needed!!!

1 Like

Jeez, really? Well that’ll be a flamewar for another thread.

Yer being a bit ridiculous. Self-checkout registers (my local Ralphs has four of 'em, in addition to the 10 or so staffed registers) were also a tool created by stores to move the lines of commerce faster. Should I resent the store for making me do the checkout work myself if I just wanna get out of there faster with my Twinkies and Mtn Dew?

There’s always been such a place. You might remember it as the place the customers pick up the cart from. Front of the store, y’know? Not terribly far from the parking lot? Those new-fangled cart-return zones aren’t always that much more convenient (20 yards at that Ralphs of mine).

Dude, “working for the store”? Hell, why don’t I just have one of the store employees push my loaded cart out to my car and load the groceries into my car for me? They’d do it with a smile, whether or not I’m aged, disabled, or just lazy. That’s part of their job, too. But I’m neither aged nor disabled, so if I habitually had a store employee schlep my stuff out to my car every damned time, and expected other customers to not see such behavior as weirdly entitled because goddammit I’m not “working for the store,” how much public support for my lazy-ass mindset could I expect?

3 Likes

My sister is absolutely giddy for having found a 2016 Jetta that was a stick. She got it for a song because of it.

Living like it’s 1975!

4 Likes