Meet "Dash," the old-fashioned Costco shopping cart that somehow survived the purges

Originally published at: Meet "Dash," the old-fashioned Costco shopping cart that somehow survived the purges - Boing Boing

5 Likes

The best shopping carts are the IKEA ones side all the wheels can turn, love pushing those around :blush:

8 Likes

Yes, and I always am channeling my inner drifting driver, whilst also saving on the cost of buying all those car tires :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I hate Costco’s carts. They are not made for short people. They put my hands at about high chest/low neck level, and it’s just incredibly awkward and uncomfortable to push around.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of those carts. One degree of freedom too many, especially if you have anything heavy in it.

@danimagoo: I’m not liking the new Costco carts either. Same reason. It’s now even harder to deal with those 42 lb bricks of cat litter.

3 Likes

trailer boys GIF

It’s beautiful.

5 Likes

My preferred IKEA shopping method is the pad of paper and taking down the numbers, then pick up at the end (or have it delivered in case of large items.) No actual cart except possibly at the last bit from the service desk to the check out!

I can carry the cinnamon rolls without a cart, of course.

5 Likes

Pretty much my M.O, I’m constantly drifting and spinning the cart around just because I can :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I get why they made their carts the way they did - to navigate the tiny aisles - but they’re stupidly hard to drive in a straight line and a devil to efficiently corner at anything greater than .5 MPH. I tend to boogie through stores at as close to 3 MPH I can manage (mission shopper, not a leisure shopper), and those carts seriously cramp my style.

[edt] @Grey_Devil you and Mr. Kidd are kindred souls. I swear he only likes to go to Swedish Kmart to play with the damned carts.

5 Likes

I’ll add that Woodinville is just north of Seattle proper.

Anyone know what the suspended red and blue lights are for? I’ve never seen these before and wouldn’t know what to do if they were illuminated.

5 Likes

the Unicorn of the lot !

9 Likes

Now that it has gained some notoriety, it’ll be stolen/damaged/destroyed.

We can’t have anything nice.

2 Likes

TIL: according to Reddit user u/aikisean

“Costco employee here. The lights indicate which alarm is sounding. Left side means perimeter breach(emergency exit) on left. Right means perimeter breach on right. Blue means vault, receiving, or temperature.

In the case of this particular setup, white is left, red is right, blue is the other stuff. Ours is situated differently.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatisthisthing/s/X4y0nA8Pyw

3 Likes

According to the FB page, people steal the employee name tag off of Dash all the time, so yeah I can see it escalating to that.

3 Likes

Bastards!

2 Likes

Oh, that’s so mundane! I was expecting something more sinister about lockdowns / active shooter / active hoards of shoplifters. Thank you for looking when I had no idea how to look; I assumed this would be common knowledge to the USAians. I didn’t see the centered white light; only the red/blue and thought cops.

I especially like the vague “none of the aboveness” of…

ETA - I really like how what I perceive to be a cultural wasteland spawns all sorts of culture.

1 Like

museum

5 Likes

No! No! You can’t visit Ikea without passing out through the Marketplace, where many wonders are revealed and must be bought.

2 Likes

Both of our recent visits finished up late enough that the Marketplace was already closed. This meant no lovely meatballs for us. :frowning: (Luckily there were other tasty treats already packaged to go!)

1 Like

I guess it depends on what has breached the perimeter.

b8e776f5f55ebca5755e829520c8e85a

monster-from-the-id

3 Likes