Meet "Dash," the old-fashioned Costco shopping cart that somehow survived the purges

TIL that American shopping carts don’t do that.
That’s all carts here. I only know the ones with two fixed wheels from DIY stores, where the special carts for heavy things have that unfortunate impairment. They’re impossible to corner correctly.

Does Aldi in the US also have European-style carts, then? I’d assume so, since, like IKEA, they seem to have imported their business model wholesale.

Aldi has regular US carts with two fixed wheels. Do you need coin money to free an Aldi cart in Europe?

1 Like

Yes. Like any other supermarket

Whoa! Aldi is the only store I know of in the US that does the cart “rental” thing. That’s why we end up with abandoned carts everywhere, and probably how this one Costco cart still exists.

3 Likes

'Round here (central Ontario), the lower end grocery stores (No Frills, Freshco, etc) tend to do the cart rental thing. They all give out a loyalty “coin” for you keychain if you ask, so you don’t even need a quarter.

On the subject of grocer carts… the first chain that adds a coffee cup holder on their carts will win my loyalty.

Meijer stores in Michigan have cup holders on the carts.

3 Likes

Waitrose and Marks & Spencer, posh supermarkets in the UK, don’t put a coin lock on their trolleys, they employ people to collect them from around the parking areas and return them to the store.

Interestingly, there are plastic ‘coins’ you can get at Waitrose and Tesco to put into charity boxes for a kind of vote on how to split the donations from the supermarket. These fit in the coin locks at most supermarkets so if you were cheap and anti-social, you could use them to not have to return your trolley to the park

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.