Why self-driving cars look like "toasters"?

Meanwhile in Germany…

And because trams have right of way if a car crashes in a tram it’s always the car fault.

8 Likes

First cars looked like carriages. Then they looked squared off. Then they looked like covers for Hugo Gernsback novels. Then they got rectangular again. Then they got the melted HotWheels look. Then half of them turned into Urban Assault Vehicles. I’m hoping for Romany wagons with robotic lizards next.

10 Likes

wheel-gasser-madne

17 Likes

Can we call it the Atomic Amish?

7 Likes

This one uses mixed use traffic lanes.

There’s another system in Tampa that uses a dedicated lane.
Haven’t been able to ride either yet, due to COVID, but looking forward to it.
4 Likes

Looks like a pushmepullyou. At least it is stackable. Uses less space.
So ugly no one will steal them. Next stop Dystopia.

4 Likes

Had a Porsche for a while. Cops would stop me for 5 mph over the limit and arrive at the car already mad. No such problem with the replacement vehicle, a Prius.

11 Likes

Cars carry a lot of emotional baggage.

14 Likes

I foresee a fleet of self-driving bedroom taxis favored by future sex workers. Fares increase by the hour or minute.

5 Likes

It’s cheaper to make. Front panels and back panels are the same, left side door and right side door are the same (so one ‘regular’ and one ‘suicide’).

6 Likes

Ah, we’re going back to stagecoaches. Except we have electric motors & batteries instead of horses, and a computer instead of the driver sitting up front with another guy riding shotgun.

5 Likes

Something like a Tiny House of the Rising Sun?

Robots will make them, Robots will wash them Robots will drive you to the woods and bury you.

5 Likes

Toasters? I’m sure they are perfectly ordinary cars. You will not be cooked.

(source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mapN5ZsWdA)

3 Likes

That’s not a toaster, THIS
is a toaster.

11 Likes

The real question is why toasters are designed to look like self-driving cars.

5 Likes

That’s the car-seat orientation requirement for babies under 30lbs in the US as I understand it. good enough for babies is good enough for me (my chronically car-sick wife OTOH…)

6 Likes

Well when are we getting flying toaster cars?

7 Likes

Psychologically better as well—facing forward, we strain to see new things coming into view far away, while anything big and close disappears just as we’re finally getting a good look at it

Backwards is an eminently superior way to survey a landscape IMO

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/us/microplastics-tire-rubber-chemicals-killing-coho-salmon-scn/index.html

Salmon have been dying mysteriously on the West Coast for years. Scientists think a chemical in tires may be responsible

Even with this chemical identified, the scale of the problem could make saving the fish difficult.

Roughly 3.1 billion tires for the planet’s more than 1.4 billion vehicles are produced annually, the study said, and this chemical appears to be used in nearly all of them.

Previous studies have found that tire abrasion is one of the most significant sources globally of microplastics in aquatic ecosystems, and it’s responsible for an estimated 30% of all the microplastic particles in our oceans.

3 Likes

Nuclear-powered, of course, or else I’m suing Disney and Azimov.

1 Like