Why self-driving cars look like "toasters"?

All you need now is a giant jar of peanut butter.

13 Likes

Go for the sporty version.

Let’s see THIS baby run on his own. And it’s almost gold! Merry XMas, Ivanka – Daddy

4 Likes

Elvis has left the building.

The Zoox is bidirectional and has sliding plug doors.

5 Likes

There’s a Battlestar Galactica joke here somewhere, possibly in image format, but I’ll let someone wittier than I make it…

2 Likes

Re: cheaper to make

images (10)

jannus-dwg

You could by fake steering wheels for the rear seats to mess with people.

7 Likes

function over everything else I believe

As the designated driver of my household and therefore the driver whenever we have guests, I can’t help but to look at this with some joy. Continuing to talk face to face with friends and family as we drive somewhere is a little thing, but it would be nice to do. But that feeling could be pandemic-induced, too. It’s been a while since my last real face to face with friends.

2 Likes

Needs bread quickly toasting on a fork out the back window.

1 Like

I know that’s the case with the Citroen Ami:

though that one isn’t self driving. Interestingly, there are also other ways in which the Ami departs from the normal idea of a car- for instance, it isn’t sold through normal dealerships but through electronics stores and even bookshops!

3 Likes

We used to sit in rear-facing seats in the back of a family friends’ station wagon as little kids. I absolutely loved the show. Part of it was just the rare opportunity of a front-seat-quality view as a child, but it was a very cool way to watch the world go by.

4 Likes

That’s not a toaster.

THIS is a toaster.

4 Likes

Because they can foresee the upcoming bread pandemic?

2 Likes

Those were so cool.We had two consecutive station wagons in the sixties, but no seats in the back. The second one did have the back door that could fold down or swing open, that was a big step forward.

I certainly remember riding in the back of the station wagon, lots of fun rolling around.

3 Likes

That looks… delightfully dangerous.

1 Like

Some of us like the idea of a vehicle comfortable to get in and out of without being an anorexic limbo dancer and ones that can actually carry stuff.

And one you can ride in sitting up like a real grownup with real legroom instead of half laying back like you’re about to be launched into orbit or enter Le Mans on a bet.

I still want a trunk or cargo compartment and overhead storage so bags aren’t rattling around my feet or visible when I go someplace else.

I’d want a couple of fold out tables too. Get some work done or entertain oneself while the car does the work.

Basically I want a 1950s British first class train compartment on wheels. :wink: Or what the heck, a small RV. Make it self contained.

Throw the whole design book out and start from the ground up.

3 Likes

original (1)

4 Likes

What I feel is missing from the whole concept of self-driving cars is something like reins: treating the car like a smart horse, but still in need of a driver in a certain sense. A way for the main passenger to brake or steer when something appears that the car’s small brain didn’t catch. Especially in the early days, the idea should be to treat the car as having nonhuman intelligence, as its intelligence would be more antlike, eventually horselike.

Or at least a jack so people could plug in and use their brain to supplement the artificial intelligence.

1 Like