Why semicolons are lovely and colons less so

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/11/why-semicolons-are-lovely-and.html

13 Likes

semi colons are the cadillac of punctuation.

15 Likes

It will be disappointing if many of the comments here do not include semicolons; they are so lovely.

25 Likes

Another thing was to use dashes - because they break up a sentence less than brackets - if you want to jam in a sub-clause.

19 Likes

A -'s not a dash, this is a –. Or if you really want to do it right, it should be a —.

16 Likes

Robert Bringhurst would disagree with you:

The em dash is the nineteenth-century stand­ard, still pre­scribed by many edit­or­ial style books, but the em dash is too long for use with the best text faces. Like the over­sized space between sen­tences, it belongs to the pad­ded and cor­seted aes­thetic of Vic­torian typography. Use spaced en dashes – rather than em dashes or hyphens – to set off phrases.

12 Likes

Shouldn’t that read:

A -'s not a dash, this is a –; if you really want to do it right, it should be a —.

16 Likes

The colash and semi-colash are true abominations; I wish I’d never heard of either.

7 Likes

I’m fine with that. Bringhurst was 90% right about typesetting, which makes him a legend compared to others who got things so wrong (and setting aside his forays into cultural appropriation, of course)

He still wouldn’t want a hyphen used to set off phrases.

8 Likes

Oh God, no.

6 Likes

I thought the “Or” was might help imply that it was more a choice of style than a command; it’s sometimes hard to get the right tone.

Using an en- or an em-dash does depend on the typeface used in context. For longer text, my preference would lean toward typefaces where the longer dash is nice.

7 Likes

While I fully support your advocacy of semi-colons—a truly underrated piece of punctuation—as a former copyeditor/proofreader, I regret to inform you that you are using them wrong. At least in the sentence quoted. Semi-colons are not used to tie together loosely related ideas; they are used as a soft period to connect two loosely related structurally complete sentences. In your quote, you are using them to string together dependent clauses (really sentence fragments), which is the job of a comma. Or, maybe you intended it as punctuation for items in a list. However, a semi-colon is only used in lists if the items in the list involve internal punctuation (commas, em-dashes); in these cases, the semi-colon basically functions as a big comma. But your post illuminates the primary reason the semi-colon is so unpopular: because most people don’t know how to use them. (Now I see how the colon seems preachy.)

30 Likes

Have you met the interrobang‽

15 Likes

I might disagree with Mr. Bringhurst; the padded space can provide subtle but appreciated cognitive relief when moving between variables in financial analysis reports.

8 Likes

If you’re looking for Victorian sources of relief for that, I’d have thought laudanum would have been higher up the list.

21 Likes

See also: the trendy semicolon tattoo.

Now, if there’s one thing that gets me steamed, it’s that horrifically abused ellipsis, especially when a whole pile of random extra periods gets tossed in – as if we’re just supposed to accept that the writer was too lost in profound thought to bother with putting down actual words. Except for the ellipsis-question-mark – in these bizarre times, it seems a convenient way to express shocked disbelief.

9 Likes

O’ cruel fate! That I have but one like to give tears at the fabric of my soul, eternal consternation which is surely the origin of these brackish waters upon my countenance.

10 Likes

I think they seem so lovely because they are the most exotic form of punctuation that most Windows users are able to type.

1 Like

“I’ll cut your ass in half and leave you with a semicolon.” --Mr. Man/Reflection Eternal “Fortified Live.”

10 Likes

You just used a hyphen in place of an Em dash. That’s a punctuation crime!

Hyphen (-) used to carry a word to another line, join two words (“Mrs. Smith-Jones,” “Irish-American”) or, in a pinch, use as a subtraction sign if your font doesn’t include mathematical symbols.

En Dash (–) used to denote a range of values (“Open 9am–5pm,” “Tickets $15–$45”)

Em Dash (—) used to denote a pause, aside or sub-clause. (“I enjoy—most of the time—discussions about typography.”)

19 Likes