Codifying "Boomerspeak" and debating the ethics of poking fun at it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/20/dot-dot-dot.html

5 Likes

I am guilty of using ellipsis although i try to limit my usage of it to just once if possible. However i’ve never quite liked using commas and semi-colons to break out my thoughts so i tend to rely on the occasional comma and breaking out my thoughts by periods. It’s likely not the proper way but my capitalization tends to mirror my speaking cadence.

8 Likes

My grammer and spelling was never any good, but my math was, so I became an engineer. I can write a mean technical report but social media posts I could care less. Now get off my lawn.

8 Likes

Shit, I’m privileged-as-fuck, make fun of me all you like, I probably deserve it.

22 Likes

I generally figured a lot of these quirks resulted from people who learned English later in life and may lack familiarity with the language. Or possibly just people who lack familiarity with typing in general. Reckon it might be difficult to qualify those factors in applying statistical methods.

Does her book come in hardcover?

24 Likes

I HATE articles like This one. They just, Don’t make any sense to me.

-Steve

38 Likes

For me i just never gave much of a shit about the exact definitions, proper uses of punctuation, etc when taking Literature/Spanish/English classes. I just used what i knew in a way that made sense to me, for the most part i always had pretty good grades in those classes so i never fussed about things like Oxford commas, semi-colons, dashes, etc.

I also grew up and did most of my schooling in Venezuela so my process in structuring my thoughts tends to follow a particular format, even with my writing, so i often wonder if it looks weird or off to others but i really don’t care.

5 Likes

I have long used a “mini-ellipsis” ("..") since it’s clearly not a period and conveys the same sentiment as three dots would. I now wonder if the youngin’s would just assume I don’t know what I’m doing as a result!

7 Likes

Shit I remember when two-dot ellipsis was for use mid-sentence and three-dot ellipsis was for ending a sentence when you don’t complete the thought.

(Discourse says no to this.)

4 Likes

now im afraid to write a comment

14 Likes

Could NOT care less. Now get off my lawn.

18 Likes

53 Likes

I tend to use it as a pause-for-effect in my writing rather than an indication of omission of a word/phrase. I know its not the correct use of it but it’s a habit i’ve retained.

8 Likes

I’ve evolved my digital communication somewhat, but because I learned to type on a literal TYPEWRITER, there will always be 2 spaces after a period. I can’t help it. Plus to me it adds visual clarity to sentence structure within paragraphs. But even though I typed this very message with 2 spaces, BB “corrected” me and changed them to 1 anyway. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

25 Likes

Oh noes. I always end my text messages with dots. Or m’s if I fat-finger it.

4 Likes

It absolutely is intended as a pause, depending on where in the statement it’s placed. In dialogue it’s always been a “trailing off” or hesitancy indicator like “I… I think… there’s something wrong with saying ellipses not being acceptable anymore.” It can indicate a stutter or stammer.

I also use it to indicate that kind of pause that says the following word choice may be a milder version of what could be said. As in this wholesale desire to discard a perfectly good piece of punctuation is… disturbing.

29 Likes

This. Seems. To. Be. The. More. Modern. Way. Super. Fantastic.

3 Likes

Meh. So I write like an old person. Guess what, I am an old person!

11 Likes

@MalevolentPixy

Ellipses can legit be used to represent, for example, a comic beat. The ‘omission’ of ellipses include literally omitted words, words omitted by innuendo, and the inclusion of silence in a space where words would otherwise be expected. In the latter use, ellipses are akin to the fermata in Western musical notation.

19 Likes