Codifying "Boomerspeak" and debating the ethics of poking fun at it

I also learned on typewriters, in a short summer course before my first computer classes. It wasn’t until GUIs became commonplace that I adopted the rule of two spaces after a period when using a monospaced font, one space for a proportional font.

3 Likes

Millennial here. I firmly believe that if you’re going to insert an ellipsis into your text, you ought to use the proper unicode character (U+2026). It also annoys me whenever anyone calls it a “dot dot dot”…

9 Likes

:- (
: p

4 Likes

double-spacing after a period

I feel personally attacked.

14 Likes

I text and type as I speak; clearly and correctly.
Does anyone have a problem with that?

Didn’t think so…

32 Likes

Gen-Xers don’t use ellipses?

All I can say to that is… whatever.

:wink:

31 Likes

17 Likes

I use ellipses and end texts with periods (unless it’s a one or two word text, in which case it doesn’t seem needed). But that’s probably more to do with the fact that I read A LOT of books, and you typically copy the writing style you see most often. Books use full sentences, real words, proper grammar, and the full range of punctuation - if I send of receive a text and it doesn’t use those, it just looks wrong to me.

21 Likes

Change those periods to hand-clap emojii and you’ll be spot on.

22 Likes

Most of the time I use an ellipsis to quote a snippet of someone’s post (see above) to indicate that I have left out part, and that anyone wanting the full context should go back to the original. To leave it out risks being accused of misquoting.

I’m old enough that English Composition and English Literature were separate courses when I was in high school. Perhaps they still are. But I had grammar and punctuation drilled into me to the point that I’m still picky about them in a letter or email. In a text, not so much.

I’m not sure if the article is saying that “boomerspeak” is being too grammatically sloppy or too precise. It looks to me like a combination of the two. Oldsters are just trying to adjust to the new conventions of texting. In many cases I suspect that after battling autocorrect we look at the resulting garbled message, say “screw it”, and hit SEND.

We old farts have lived through the same times as all the younger pseudo-generations, and our language is evolving. Years ago I would say “hi” when meeting someone, now I tend to say “hey” about three times out of four, without ever making a decision to do so. It just happened.

Ah, the time-honoured “they did it first” defense. We had that in my day. :wink:

ok millennial :grin:

9 Likes

That semicolon should be a colon. < /pedant>

19 Likes

10 Likes

I was never good at multitasking. :wink:

12 Likes

http://www.colonsemicolon.com

Fight me…

8 Likes

Don’t need to. The link you provided confirms what I said. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I thought it was great, and many kinds of fun.

2 Likes

Some of these things seem to be a clear delineation between people who grew up with formal letter writing in longhand and typewriter vs people who learned to write with cell phones and smart phones. The signing of your name at the end of a text or social media post seems hilariously formal to me, especially since your name is usually next to the post. And while I wouldn’t do that, I still feel compelled to use correct punctuation because I want to be clear. So I’m always dropping periods at the end of sentences. I probably just outted myself as a member of the in between generation. Being born in 1977, I’m young enough to have almost always had technology around me (we had apple IIs in my elementary school) but old enough to have learned to write with pencils and typewriters.

13 Likes

icecream

15 Likes

Their they’re; do’nt be sad…

16 Likes

Shatner! Is that you?

8 Likes