Codifying "Boomerspeak" and debating the ethics of poking fun at it

This is a reminder that the best approach to trolling is to not engage.

4 Likes

It burns!!

9 Likes

Little s**t, here you listen!

14 Likes

That particular meme bugs me because it implies that young people were just disrespecting sage advice from boomers, when actually it was more of a comeback to condescension. But… and I’m giving away my age again there with these ellipses but whatever… it seems like the “OK Boomer” thing was over about as soon as people started writing articles about it anyway so whatever, man.

6 Likes

I’m somewhat inconsistent when it comes to ending my sentences with periods. Generally i prefer to do so but i’m not very fastidious about it, however i do realize that it’s pretty superfluous and unnecessary in particular formats (texts, instant messaging, etc.)

2 Likes

I am a creature of habit and tend to fully punctuate texts, internet posts and etc., much to the amusement of my offspring.

11 Likes

Well, I think there’s a distinction between referring to the symbol as “dot dot dot” and reading it aloud as “dot dot dot”. If that’s splitting hairs though, then I’ll stand by what I said, and make an exception for Colbert—especially since he does it in Trump’s voice.

5 Likes

i’ve used an ellipsis in text-based things since the days of the BBS (look it up, kids). as with emails and other forms of text communication, i often use ellipsis and proper punctuation because that’s how i also speak. if i’m all-capping shit, it’s because i’m emphasizing it (acronyms excepted), and if i’m speaking out loud it would be emphasized the same way, but vocally. call this Gen-Xer a boomer if you want, but it just shows your lack of comprehension and says more about you than me.

6 Likes

My mom is in her 80’s. When I bought her a computer a few years ago it was a tough hill to climb.

She learned touch typing way back when nuns knew how to punch hard. She is still a really good typist on a typewriter. But when she sends an email (she still hasn’t learned to text), she omits all capitals, and punctuation, and paragraph breaks. It’s just a square blob of letters. I like to read it as if she spoke it all in a single anxious breath as I know it was written.

12 Likes

:see_no_evil: :zzz: :bomb: :poop: ,:star_struck: :joy: :orangutan::amphora: :compass:

3 Likes

via Imgflip Meme Generator

18 Likes

But it’s funny when Colbert does it.

2 Likes

Whether you think of boomerspeak parodies as punching up or punching down…

Why does there need to be punching at all?

11 Likes

I don’t see why writing in standard English, no matter the medium, is a problem. I get that texting has its own conventions, but I prefer to write (as best I can) the way I do when doing any other writing.

Looking in the other direction, I am a middle school English teacher and constantly have to deal with texting conventions and shortcuts finding their way into formal writing. I constantly have to correct names not capitalized, sentences without any punctuation, and word salad. It takes months of correcting to get kids at a place where they are aware of the problems.

22 Likes

keep fighting the good fight.
I fear it is a loosing battle.

5 Likes

I give lessons in “boomerspeak”, at a low low cost of one bottle of passable Whiskey.
First we drink the booze, then comes the “boomerspeak”, go to www.boomerspeak.com and sign up today. I’m standing by…

8 Likes

[Getting off into details]
I totally agree—to leave it out risks being accused of misquoting. What’s more, showing that you’re not quoting the person’s complete thought is a respectful thing [and, therefore, the right thing, IMO] to do—respectful both to the reader and to the person being quoted.

The only thing is, in your example here, the way you’ve added the ellipsis, IMO, makes it look like it’s part of what MalevolentPixy wrote, but it isn’t. I don’t know what the “correct” way to do it is exactly, but I’m thinking that something like this would show that you added the ellipsis:

It absolutely is intended as a pause, …

Or maybe it would be

It absolutely is intended as a pause […]

?

1 Like

Roger That.

Actually skip the lessons and let’s just drink the whisky!

7 Likes

Oh, I see we have a recent graduate of “boomerspeak”, good work human, let’s get to drinking!

9 Likes

Fun (!) fact: The Chicago Manual of Style refers to them as

ellipsis points or dots (also called suspension points) . . . . printed on the line like periods.

(14th print ed. at 10.48)

3 Likes