Why some movies and TV shows now have a strange "yellow tint"

Huh, yeah… not Mexico:

Ye gods this is pretty funny:

Also not Mexico, but definitely with that filter:

6 Likes

So the next political thriller will have an orange filter?

5 Likes

Others pointed out that, by contrast, movies set in the West usually get green or blue tones, like in this scene from the movie Twilight , or this one from The Bourne Identity .

To be perfectly fair, Bourne Identity is a very different movie than the sequels. Matt Damon is on record as saying he likes Paul Greenglass-- but I prefer almost everything about the Doug Liman picture. I liked the European setting,. I liked the long cuts, I liked the damn snow, I even liked Alexander Conklin’s motives; and was disappointed to learn that Conklin had more financial motives in the sequel.

2 Likes

That’s a slightly different thing. IIRC they sucked the green out rather than adding yellow. And the primary goal was desaturating the image to reference sepia photography and early motion film stocks.

Part of the goal was to convey the dry, dusty, dead environment of that area of the US during the dust bowl. Which is a similar idea. But less “shit hole countries are all desert”.

5 Likes

This diagram

https://www.behance.net/gallery/18811915/Colorizing-Walter-Whites-Decay

coupled with the quote, makes it sound more sophisticated.

4 Likes

Are you defending orange and teal?

2 Likes

If you care.

On the other hand if your approach boils down to “oh hero is fighting cartels, cartels bad, and Mexico is yellow”

You just throw a yellow filter over everything and call it a direct to Netflix day.

2 Likes

That’s not it. It was meant to convey a cold and technological vibe, clearly referencing the colour palette of office lighting and concrete canyons.

3 Likes

came across this page just now.

It’s an interesting idea, but then she desaturates the result-- which distorts the analysis, sometimes fatally.

The inclusion of Jurassic Park bothers me, as it was “retimed” in 2013.

I prefer the 2011 version. I have no idea if it was more faithful to the original.

4 Likes

Not a huge fan of Fast & Furious or those Marvel movies, so thankfully my exposure is limited.

3 Likes

You post was missing this warning:

:warning: Warning: TV Tropes link ahead.

Do not click unless you wish to fall into an inescapable k hole.

10 Likes

Walter White is offering a quality product, and the established cartels aren’t offering anything close to glass grade. It’s up to good old American know how to deliver the recreational pharmaceuticals that today’s methheads crave.

2 Likes

So:

American films tend to add the yellow filter when they depict countries stereotyped as impoverished, polluted, or war zones (or all three). ... Yellow filter goes hand in hand with films that depict mostly negative stereotypes about living in the country in question, all while centering the journey of a white hero...
And the author's proof for their theory? A Californian business analyst whose "family is from India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan", and a bunch of unnamed Twitter users.

Thanks for the info, next time I see a yellow-tinged scene in a movie I’ll be sure to think, “BOLO! BOLO! Racism! White male hero trope!”

1 Like

“big shock, editing and other vFX tools were used to add texture and depth to some scenes, it happens”

Not sure that’s what is being articulated though is it? In fact even the quoted section above it rather explicit that it’s a well established technique - it’s how that technique is being used.

Big shock!

guess my errands will have to wait until tomorrow again

4 Likes

hugo, of all films, uses this palette. it’s not just the summer blockbuster.

Don’t. I was sitting in my cabin, bored out of my mind at 3am, not able to sleep. No, Ebaum’s or Unerhumor, or Youtube dribble left to pass time so I sparked up Netflix and they shoved that crap in my face. I started watching it but had to turn it off after the third or fourth Tom Cruise Vandam scene.

Not to disrupt the narrative, but the actual unmodified photos and videos I took the year I lived in Niger are yellowish. Could it be that colored air is a by-product of the actual dust, sand, smoke and smog in the air in a dry sandy country where wood is the primary fuel?

yellowish

did you pay attention to white balance?

2 Likes