Why some people hate Jews and Asian-Americans

You may want to read that again and rephrase it.

2 Likes

Anaerobic environment exposing them to. Yes

Yes. People can change:

But I’m willing to bet that it’s easier to stop people before they reach that point, than to help them back out. We need the tools to do that.

15 Likes

Hatred and ignorance are taught, socialized and indoctrinated.

22 Likes

I’d like to think that’s true, but I always feel like selection bias steers that whole conversation about transforming racists. Ultimately all we’re saying is that the particular people who changed could change.
I’m also wondering how much they really do change, always. I was reading some interviews/research about white supremacists who had supposedly left their bigotry behind, and one confessed that when he read certain news items, his response was, “finally, the race war is here!” When one lives in a society premised on white supremacy, how much can one really change?

Either way, I think you’re absolutely right that preventing people from getting to that place to begin with is the easier solution.

7 Likes

Pretty big “if” in this case, considering that Cuddy is notorious not just for using bad statistics and p-hacking, which is pretty much standard practice in that field, but for attacking critics and refusing to retract results when this is pointed out.

This is a case when it would be wise to examine the data and experimental design carefully before accepting the conclusions.

Not a day goes by that I’m not grateful that my parents that fought Fascism / Nazis / Racists, lost entire scores of family and friends in that fight, are dead and in their grave. The shame that this Nation has brought onto ourselves by allowing this turd gargling pig tRump to be our President, it’s mind boggling.

Please vote tomorrow, and if time permits take a person that needs help getting to the polls.

21 Likes

Fascism requires scapegoats, groups to hate in order to distract from the failure of leadership. Any group that’s not white christian male qualifies here, in the greatest democracy the world has ever known.
More relevantly, that is not something the Times’ op-ed department will ever publish.

Do you guys ever lurk on right leaning discussion sites? I do. It’s pretty terrifying. Here’s one from yesterday addressed to a Jew on the forum by a guy who works in a steel mill:

Kritarchy is a form of government where judges dictate the laws of the land, which is what we have. Judea had such a government. It basically means rule by criticism which is what Jews excel at. Jewish people typically have a high verbal IQ where they sit around and debate the Torah attempting to out jew God and who ever finds the most Talmudic way to do so usually has the most offspring.

My point is that your people are something of a pestilence to mine. You ceaselessly push for your own ends and never once look back which is why you keep getting kicked out of nations over and over again. You think it’s because God is testing you but even Jesus was flogging you guys for being grifters. You are the synagogue satan. I mean what do you want? A reason for me to dislike your people after I constantly stick up for you while you guys shit all over me? There comes a point where I have to have some self respect.

This person externalizes all his life failures in a racist credo. The fact that he didn’t stay in school, can’t sustain a relationship and has a kid he doesn’t see HAS to be someone else’s fault. I had a fun exchange with him once. He said he didn’t know any bullies in school, I said that meant he was the bully. He was baffled.

14 Likes

One problematic part of their thesis is that the hatred is somehow tied to the groups’ success. Right now in the US (and England and maybe France), and possibly prewar in Germany, some subset of the Jewish community is possibly successful (or at least visible) out of proportion to its miniscule share of the population. However, there were plenty of countries where that was not the case: prewar Poland, for example, where my grandparents escaped from oppression on a ship in steerage. Even in Germany, the influence of the Jewish community was exaggerated as agitprop by the Hitler PR machine, rather as it is today by Breitbart, Infowars, Assange, et al.

I would say rather that the hatred was already there, and this hatred was manipulated by bad people into populist fear through the medium of highlighting and exaggerating successes.

5 Likes

Also, people are just mean. Perhaps she wasn’t bullied in school and doesn’t understand. Seems unlikely.

I have 4 great Uncles of German-American ancestry that served in the US army and died at Normandy fighting Nazis because they so loved the American dream. When Neo-Nazis try to indoctrinate me by talking to me about my “German heritage”…No, dude. Just no.

Roger that!

15 Likes

My Mother’s maiden name was Von Holtje, pronounced Von Holt-Ga, she was German, and my Father was French. As I have said many times prior on BB, both families lost every thing during WWII to the Nazis of monetary value, and lives lost. My Mother’s family made it out to the USA penniless, so some survived on her side, my Father’s family, except for himself all died in Labor Camps / Concentration Camps / Fighting.

My disdain for Nazis / Fascist / Racists is legendary amongst my family and friends, the raise of this scourge of humanity will be our greatest test of the 21st century, we must pull together as a Nation to put this scum back where it came from.

Please take extra caution when voting, be safe friends, we need every one of us.

24 Likes

I read this and thought, “No way!”, then looked at your account stats and thought, “Sock puppet!”

But before looking like an idiot I googled it and holy carp, that really happened!

So instead I’ll just say thank you for an elightening post.

11 Likes

All the likes.

10 Likes

This campaign ad just popped up on my Facebook feed this morning. I wasn’t familiar with the candidates but I noticed the message bore an unfortunate resemblance to “Jewish puppet-master” propaganda dating back to the 1930s (and probably much earlier).

Sure enough, a quick Wikipedia search revealed that the woman holding the strings is Jewish.

9 Likes

Quick question; you can reply via PM, if you want:

What are your thoughts on Guillen?

1 Like
5 Likes

Honestly I haven’t really been following the Oakland election since I don’t live on that side of the bay anymore, but I’m not sure Facebook knows that.

ETA: Oh, I see he’s also running for Congress in California’s 18th district south of here. Still outside my area of knowledge.

5 Likes

Understood.

Issues get a wee bit confusing working in one city/county, and living in another…

4 Likes