Why students are forced to buy this expensive and obsolete Texas Instruments calculator

First off: Calculator thread? Count me the fuck in.

Second: I have already established what I think is the only calculator I need for most purposes.

Third: I work at an electronics store in a university town. Whenever someone asks me for one, I ask them two questions. 1.) Are you taking calculus? If yes, you don’t really need it, and most likely calculators aren’t allowed unless you’re taking the kid-version. 2.) Don’t get the one with color unless you’ve got the money to burn. It will make you angry that software and hardware in a $30 flip-phone outclasses this calculator that costs 5 times as much.

Yes, you can totally hide information in the calculator. No, clearing the memory doesn’t always solve this problem if you’re clever enough, the class is big enough, or the people doing the memory purges don’t care enough. Finally there is absolutely no necessity to this calculator. If anything it’s a nice supplement to a class where graphing is necessary and time-consuming process. It’s still never as fast as learning the graphs and sketching them by hand. But by the time you’re in calc III, when it would be helpful to have something that can automatically process vector-valued functions and show you a graph: this calculator can’t do that.

Garbage.

28 Likes