Graphing calculators are "sexy" now

Originally published at: Graphing calculators are "sexy" now | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So, Ti see Numworks as competition now…

I don’t think I’ve been as annoyed by a website’s design as much as I was by that review site in a long time.

13 Likes

The HP Prime recently got a Python upgrade with its beta firmware. It already had a color touchscreen and really fast processor. But it still uses a Micro-USB port with a very unusual opening.

3 Likes

Ug, that is a terrible UI.

If you’re going to do that lousy side-slideshow junk, at least enable scrolling with the mouse wheel.

5 Likes

These calculators have been roughly the same price – and within a couple of orders of magnitude, the same computational power – for the last 3 decades. Maybe that’s not so bad considering inflation, but it’s also not great considering Moore’s Law.

4 Likes

Let’s not discount the sexiness of non-graphing calculators.

23 Likes

In what way is this sexier than an HP-45, or an HP-41C?

4 Likes

a whopping 3MB of flash ROM for storing data and apps, along with 154KB of free RAM

So we’re going from 1990s era technology to 2000s era technology?

5 Likes

The quotation marks in that headline are doing A LOT of work.

Also I can’t imagine trying to learn to code in any useful modern programming language on a machine that does not have a QWERTY keyboard. I think trying to code on a device with only a touchscreen keyboard would be ridiculously frustrating, but still way better than trying to use that calculator.

1 Like

Texas Instruments also notes that students can w̶r̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ make cheat sheets for tests

FTFY

3 Likes

RPN or bust.

13 Likes

TI is going to the victim of their own lobbying here when the college board makes these illegal for SAT and AP tests.

1 Like

My college laptop (in 1993 had a 16 Mhz 68030, with 4MB RAM and a 40 MB hard drive. And the laptops that came out two years later enthusiastically fulfilled Moore’s law Didn’t get a new laptop, though. Games on a monochrome 640x400 screen-- ugh.

2 Likes

Seems like 70 percent of the kids at my high school have a smart phone. You can put a graphing calculator app on the phone, which I think goes a long way to explaining why sales are down. Also, is it THAT hard to graph? Put pencil on x value and move it to Y value. Make a dot. Repeat. Connect the dots. Am I missing something that makes a calculator with a tiny screen worth 80+ bucks?

1 Like

RPN NOT IF BUST THEN;

(If your calculator uses RPN, then why not Forth?)

6 Likes

Especially when you can attach “units” to the numbers. That is invaluable in tracking down math errors when you get a results in meters/second when you were expecting a result in meters, and that alone is worth the cost of admission.

1 Like

They are going to have to take dc away from my cold dead hands.

I do all of my social media via HP 48.

13 Likes

6 Likes