Why students are forced to buy this expensive and obsolete Texas Instruments calculator

99% of the functions that people actually use on these calculators are available on any $15 scientific calculator. The rest of the functions are so cumbersome to use that you really should be doing them with an app or application. My $10 Casio fx-260 SOLAR has been running well for me since college 20 years ago and I haven’t even had to replace a battery.

This looks like a good opportunity for open source… building an open source “education spec” calculator that any manufacturer could build would be much cheaper.

3 Likes

No, what’s shocking is that any math teacher at any level would think that a calculator is a tool for doing math. It’s not even a tool for doing Physics: if you can’t write the equations you can’t solve the problem, and if you can write the equations why would a teacher insist you stick numbers into it and let a machine draw a graph? The entire educational paradigm sucks.

3 Likes

Heh. In high school I had an HP RPN calculator. No one ever asked to borrow it.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Like I said, my daughter’s school issues laptops to all the students. Is their homework on it? Only sometimes. Are the textbooks on it? She’s now a senior and has one online textbook.

And of course they can’t put any programs on it, so she’s stuck with an old version of IE and can’t use Google docs. All in a school district where Teslas are common to see in the parking lot.

1 Like

Can she use it as a paper wieght?

Probably one of the best math books ever.
If a college level math books is based on a similar style using a specific calculator, I think it’s great.

2 Likes

No, seriously. It’s got a lot more features than a slide rule:

• It’s a calculator, obviously.
• It will make graphs, a time-consuming task to do by hand.
• It’s programmable (this is how I got my start in computer programming— I’m now a Computer Science major thanks to this little baby).
• As a device, it’s pretty much impossible to break permanently, except through grievous physical harm (in particular, you can’t really break it by programming on it, at least in TI-Basic).
• It is not connected to the Internet— this is the critically important feature needed in a math-class calculator.

I don’t only not object to it, I recommend it.

2 Likes

And once you get to college, you’re not allowed to use your TI-series calculators on tests anymore, because you can program in the answers very easily. They require a standard scientific calculator that you can get for ten or twenty dollars.

Mandatory crapware brought to you by the Harvard-Soviet-Standardized, model installed by lawyers and lobbyists.

1 Like

Especially since the HP graphing calculators are enormously superior to the TI ones in every imaginable way. Nowadays, if I’m going to plot something, I use Python, but I still keep my HP at my desk because it’s a whole lot faster for a lot of quick calculations.

1 Like

In university right now, trust me, the fact that textbooks and tuition cost as much as they does not automatically endear me to the cost of this piece of garbage. Honestly, I don’t necessarily want more features or tocuhcreens, just stop insulting my intelligence by charging so much for an ancient technology. Would you happily pay the thousands of dollars the first “pocket” calculators used to cost, today? Fuck no, and I don’t blame you.

2 Likes

Sadly, in most cases college professors are the new high-school teachers.

1 Like

Nah not really, I never had any graphs outside of plotting data from lab classes that were time consuming by any measure.

This is the only thing TI still sells, yes?

No hate for the calculator itself, though it could definitely do with a major user interface update.

But yeah the price…

Let’s shed a little light here.

1. Schools require these because they don’t have the money to purchase real technology and this at least provides the basic capability. The average teacher in my local school system has a $100 budget for all students for the entire year. Fund schools at an appropriate level and then you can grip.

2. People who have not been teachers would be stupefied at the amount of cheating that goes on, as well as the brazenness of it. I was once grading final exams and one page, that had clearly been folded at some point, had at the top of the page the words “Don’t copy me verbatim. We have the same professor.” Apps aren’t allowed because you can’t separate them from text messaging and it is illegal to jam cell phones for any reason.

2 Likes

Bah! Who cares about your fancy electronic calculators, get a hand cranked calculator!

12 Likes

If they’re giving those out to students, I’m going back to school.

3 Likes

This is Murica, we don’t give a damn thing to students!

If they can afford a highfalutin’ education, they can afford to pay 3x the value for scantron sheets.

3 Likes

Screw it, then. I’m just going to burgle @jlw’s house.

2 Likes

FLIBBIDY FLOOB i say!

1 Like