Why the hell is this street sprinkler truck in China spraying water in flooded street?

hey if you’re not going to pay me for the day off, I’m not taking the day off

2 Likes

This all may be difficult to grasp, but we’re in a Tenet situation and the truck is really driving backwards and sucking in…. whatever; I give up….

4 Likes

Dr. Who is driving the truck, is bigger on the inside.

3 Likes

A few years ago they were resurfacing a two lane highway where I live. The removed the top few inches for about 3 miles. They were paving the very next day. That afternoon the line painting guys came through and painted new lines. The very next morning they paved over the lines and repainted the lines a few days later.

I thought this was an odd way to spend my tax dollars so I called the road department, I managed to get up the ladder but they really didn’t seem to care. I hope that behind the scenes they looked into it but I’m sure the contractor got paid because they did what they were contracted to do.

6 Likes

Initiative. The sort of thing that gets you into trouble in centrally controlled, regimented, autocratic dictator-communist states.

4 Likes

Considered putting out water wetter, but it was so toxic they went with ethanol to help things dry out faster (soon.) Behind them is the electric lava truck for patching some kinds of pothole; they get behind, lava is heavy.

Alternately it is water shaded a very particular shade of brown so you can tell where you had water damage 100%. (Or, the pilot sold off the alcohol and it’s…just regular filthy water with seized opium, thanks.)

6 Likes

Autopilot

2 Likes

Perhaps General Contractor’s employee following SOP till advised otherwise.

Smartalex throwing gas on the fire as it were. :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

It’s CYA, the lines are required to be there and the cost of an extra set of lines is miniscule compared to the possible stupid lawsuits.

6 Likes

I think the term is “Jobsworth”

“You can’t cremate me, I’m not dead!”
“Sorry madam, more than my jobsworth. Orders is orders you know…”

4 Likes

Right, the term “passive aggressive” gets overused.
But this could be an actual example of someone being passive aggressive, depending on their mindset.

1 Like

Yep, water coming from a valve on one side of the truck isn’t spraying, it’s emptying.
Another scenario is that it’s illegal dumping. Probably not. What does the Chinese writing on the side of the truck an overlaid on the screen say?

1 Like

I was thinking hairspray the movie

remote-hiring-1

Is nobody going to ask the question, “why would a truck be doing that even if it isn’t flooding?” Driving around dumping water in the street isn’t normal, regardless of status of 1000 year flood. As others have said, this isn’t a sprayer or a street cleaner, it’s just a tanker that someone apparently left the valve open on. He probably can’t tell because of all the other water noises going on.

1 Like

A bureaucratic show of strength and audacity? Kind of like a Three Gorges Dam but with a tank truck.

I live in China and this behaviour is nothing new. The last thing you do is question an order. Not paid to think. In a communist authoritarian society, you never question your superior.

2 Likes

Or any large hierarchical construct. Let a full blooded capitalistic corporation get big enough and you have the same effect.

2 Likes

Not exactly a similar comparison. A corporation doesn’t have the power of the gun behind it, like a government does.

3 Likes

Wow… you really went in a totally unexpected direction there. I thought it was about bullshit jobs, for you it was about force. Let me tell you, you don’t need a gun to get people to turn their brain off.

1 Like