Why the hell is this street sprinkler truck in China spraying water in flooded street?

Originally published at: Why the hell is this street sprinkler truck in China spraying water in flooded street? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Maybe it’s gallons of disinfectant, or bug killer. What was that stuff they used to spray in the streets while kids were playing?

23 Likes

My first thought was some sort of disinfectant. Floods cause all sorts of nasty things.

My second thought was reducing the weight of the truck by getting rid of the load?

My third thought was “I am getting paid to spray water, so I am spraying water.”

There’s a story there, though.

31 Likes

Third would be my guess. Don’t spray, don’t get paid.

30 Likes

17 Likes

Or even just, like, being on autopilot because you’ve done the same thing every day for 20 years?

10 Likes

This is the opposite of “not my job” memes. “It is my job.”

Everything is regimented in government work, so if no one thought to tell the sprayers to take a day off, then they probably have to go out there.

17 Likes

I’m thinking there’s some sort of malicious compliance thing going on.

“You told me to spray the street every day or I don’t get paid? OK, I will spray the street every day.”

18 Likes

So all the flooding actually came from a single truck?

21 Likes

Yes, it’s an Evil Water God.

7 Likes

Why are we talking about Cheetolini’s Russian travel itinerary?

11 Likes

tenor-5

5 Likes

I can see 1 or 3…or, I guess 2, but wouldn’t you want your truck to be heavy as possible so you don’t float away? I could be wrong but that would be my strategy.

4 Likes

Someone (not necessarily the driver) might have been afraid of being reprimanded by an institutionally idiotic disciplinary mechanism. Or perhaps the drivers are only paid if they go out.

8 Likes

Or maybe he/she just forgot to put the lid on. They were taking good clean water to the hospital and then, everything just slip away.

3 Likes

I think it may just be that, a mistake. Perhaps a leaver was accidentally hit, a valve left open, or an end cap fell off. It really isn’t spraying, and I can’t imagine any amount of disinfectant being delivered that way making a difference.

I’d like to think the person driving the truck is trying to do the right thing, unless evidence shows otherwise.

6 Likes

The truck was nervous.

11 Likes

I remember stories of mafia-controlled waste haulers (redundant, perhaps) who would take toxic waste for disposal, then wait for a rainstorm and have their drivers tool around the interstate all night with the spigot dribbling to “make it disappear.” Apparently the scam was revealed when a car following too close had its tires melt.

7 Likes

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot.

4 Likes

Hey, he doesn’t get paid to use his brain. He gets paid to spray the water.

1 Like