Why the Pebble e-ink watch failed

That’s my take as well. If they’d been happy being a small company that made a nice, but well loved, product, they could still be in business today.
However, they had VC investors before the first kickstater, so that was probably never an option.

I should really get around to fixing the buttons on mine and wearing it again.

There are ways to make a large bezel look natural, and Pebble really struggled with it on many of their models. Eric was probably referring to the Pebble Time Steel variant, which visually invited Apple Watch comparisons but up-close didn’t stand up to it. For one thing, most of the marketing images showed watchfaces with black backgrounds blending seamlessly into the large black bezel, while the reality was that the screen could only produce a washed-out black-ish color. Even the variant with the cheaper build (Pebble Time) visually broke up its chunky bezel by mixing materials.

I bought a very nice kit for turning an Apple watch into a pocket watch. I use the Mickey Mouse animated face, calendar, and alarm and that’s about it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.