Why these libraries welcome the bat colonies that live among the books

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/11/why-these-libraries-welcome-th.html

10 Likes

40 Likes

Ah, so the pagelings now have aerial support*. Excellent! I’m guessing the guy on the far right is commander of the airborne division.

ETA: oops. I forgot they can transform into paper airplanes. Man, that was a fun ep.

9 Likes

That is just so cool!

8 Likes

“…they still use fabric made from animal skin, imported from Imperial Russia, to cover the original 18th-century tables, protecting them from scat left by the library’s flying residents.”

So, “scat” when we like the bats, and “shit” when we don’t.

8 Likes

I liked bats, was okay with having some living in a small void on the outside of my house.

Then I learned about bat bugs, which were able to find their way inside, even though the bats could not. The void in question has been sealed up. No more bats.

7 Likes

This is hilarious. We have a book that my kids love called “Bats at the Library” and this will make their day!

18 Likes

Yeah, and so where does all the guano go?

4 Likes

That is Gormenghast as fuck

13 Likes

Surly one of tnose bug zappers would be as effective with fewer side effects?

1 Like

As an, umm, ‘indoor gardener’, I love me some bat shit. Shreds sciarabid fliy gizzards and promotes growth. it’s good shit, man.

9 Likes

In the “Political Science” Section, filed under “Trump”.

7 Likes

That’s cruel to bats. :wink:

5 Likes

The librarians never need to buy fertilizer for their gardens, that’s for sure.

8 Likes

Bug zappers are not cool. Scholarly bats living in the library are cool. Librarians are cool. Therefore, librarians are going to go with the bats over the bug zappers.

15 Likes

That’s bat shit crazy.

18 Likes

mlp-fim-pinkie-pie-rimshot

13 Likes

Hey, were you guano read that or can I?

11 Likes

Crazy idea here: maybe close the windows instead so the bugs can’t get in?

4 Likes

But, then. how would the bats get out? :roll_eyes:

13 Likes