Why Titan is the only colonizable world in the solar system beyond Earth

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/28/why-titan-is-the-only-coloniza.html

8 Likes

Just warm clothing? At -180C?

21 Likes

Doesn’t living underground on the Moon address most radiation concerns?

Also ISS already exposes astronauts to about same amount of radiation as on lunar surface. Half the time they’re shielded by Earth (as they orbit behind it shielded from the Sun) and half the time they’re directly exposed to solar radiation.

Same on the Moon’s surface.

5 Likes

Yeah. Right. Is that equally unlimited as “the coal and oil in Earth’s crust”? Or rather as “the wood in Earth’s forests”. Maybe as unlimited as “fresh, clean water” or “the fish in Earth’s seas”…

But on the other hand… Flying would be cool :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Great to see we’ve learnt our lessons from the exploitation of the Earth…

7 Likes

ISS is in low Earth orbit, which gives it protection from a lot of radiation by the van Allen belts.

10 Likes

Except the moon itself is also irradiated. Remember: Radiation is absorbed quickly, and released slowly, by just about everything.

4 Likes

Clothing that covers skin and provides warmth, really.

3 Likes

27 Likes

33 Likes

Oh well. Doom it is, then!

Doom was on Mars!

17 Likes

John Lithgow says Titan’s atmosphere is worse than a bad day in Los Angeles.

3 Likes

Well… in Titan’s case there are literally OCEANS of hydrocarbon sludge. It probably is effectively unlimited.

10 Likes

To Ganymede and Titan
Yes, sir, I’ve been around
But there ain’t no place
In the whole of Space
Like that good ol’ toddlin’ town
Oh! Lunar City Seven
You’re my idea of heaven
Out of ten, you score eleven
You good ol’ Titan’ town
Oh! Lunar City Seven
Lunar Cities One through Six
They always get me down
But Lunar City Seven
You’re my home town

15 Likes

But on the plus side, human-lead Climate Change would work to our advantage there! :wink:

15 Likes

Just imagine what kind of temperature changes we can accomplish with all of that hydrocarbon sludge that @tamooj mentioned!

12 Likes

Bundle up, or you’ll catch your death!

15 Likes

As the ultimate source of a forest’s trees is the sun. it is essentially unlimited, if it is harvested in a reasonable manner.

2 Likes

Well hey, the movie Oblivion wasn’t that off the mark when they “claimed” that humanity had made a new home on Titan after the attack.

1 Like

No worse than Minnesota.

12 Likes