Why was marijuana outlawed to begin with?

Well, many private prisons have occupancy guarantees. In the Private Interest, an anti-privatization group, recently released a report studying occupancy guarantees. It identified 77 county and state-level private facilities nationwide and was able to collect/analyze the contracts of 62 of the facilities. 65% had quotas and they ranged from 80-100% (most at 90%). So it looks like in many cases, the government is paying the bill no matter what.

I found this map interesting:

Well, not just negros.

1 Like

A friendā€™s grandfather grew tobacco in Kentucky before the war, and switched to hemp during the war, which was legal if you were growing it for rope for the military. Most of the US supply of rope came from the Philippines, which had already been occupied by the Japanese. If you grew something like 10 acres of it, you were exempt from the draft; too bad this was no longer the case during the Vietnam war :slight_smile:

After the war was over, they told him he had to switch back to tobacco. So he did, even though itā€™s a much nastier product to farm; itā€™s still a cash crop. At least in Kansas, the leftover ditchweed from hemp growing kept hippies in business harvesting the stuff during the 60s - it wasnā€™t very good, but you could get it, if you didnā€™t get caught.

Is it true marijuana decrease sperm count?

Slightly off topic but readers of this thread may know the answer - Has legalisation in Colorado led to pardoning of those in prison for possession and distribution?

Wow, where to begin with that point of view?
The opposition to marijuana as medicine has been intense. That kind of propaganda is not free. Who paid for it?

This may come as a shock and may disillusion you but our government is not a thing. It does not have goals. It is made of individuals. Those individuals are corruptible. They do not benefit from increased taxes and revenue so there is no benefit to them in legalizing it. However, there are groups that pay to have laws passed. There are groups that benefit from keeping it illegal. Those people pay off our politicians and write laws for them to pass.

[quote=ā€œteapot, post:37, topic:19311ā€]The prison point is just silly. Yes, privatised prisons have an interest in getting more prisoners but why would the government want that? The government is paying the bill.
[/quote]

Sounds like it yeah. Sad part is that itā€™s true. These companies pay our lawmakers to increase penalties and sentence times. The government not being a conscious entity makes no decisions about ā€˜paying the billā€™ based on what would cost more. No, it is our lawmakers lining their pockets to get the money and our taxes get to pay for it. That doesnā€™t effect the ones making the laws you see.

4 Likes

Simply, because puritan busybodies on BOTH sides of the poltiical spectrum, were afraid, and many still are, that someone, somewhere might be having an unapproved good time.

Itā€™s not just that: one might point out that the usual slang for sex, came from ā€œFor Unlawful Carnal Knowledgeā€.

One STILL sees teenagers getting arrested for ā€œstatuatory rapeā€, where no rape of anything but the sensibilities of someone who insisted on sticking their nose into the situation. . . .

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m a white woman who has smoked plenty of weed and Iā€™ve had sex with negros and entertainers, soā€¦ I guess they were right?

Though there is an obvious profitt motive, the fear of the ā€œothersā€ has been a good way to scare American citizens into compliance. It was the Chinese with opium, and blacks and hispanics with weed.

Though I love how reasonable America is starting to become when it comes to weed, I still canā€™t help but be angry at the US - they were the ones who lead the way to prohibition, after all. The people in my home country, Finland, are very negative towards weed, despite how common it is among the young. The good thing is that we donā€™t go crazy with the convictions - for the possession (and selling small amounts) of most drugs, you only get small fines. Even if youā€™re convicted of a serious drug crime, the prison isnā€™t that bad here (I, for certain, am not afraid of going to prison)ā€¦ I can only hope that Finland is eventually going to follow suit with America and Holland and Portugal, and eventually decriminalize weed.

1 Like

I donā€™t doubt the popular theories but I always add that itā€™s probable the industrial barons of the time were well aware of the effects of cannabis consumption and saw it as an affront to their God: Productivity

(Insering diety): http://newescapologist.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/they_live4.jpg

Iā€™m not buying the Mexican Immigrant fear narrative. I assume above people talking about this being an issue in ā€œthe Southā€ mean California, Texas and dusty farming towns in between, which are not the south. And not areas to envoke a federal fear law in 1937, outside some sort of Grapes of Wrath red scare. The underlying culprit is whatever would motivate northeastern lawmakers of the 30s.

Itā€™s also worth mentioning that growing hemp is still illegal in the majority of states despite being unusable for psychedelic effect.

And of course, since I think in movie quotes, the first thing that popped into my head wasā€¦ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc&feature=youtu.be

I donā€™t believe so, no. They broke the idiotic laws when they were still a thing, so they still bear the idiotic punishment.

1 Like

You rang?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.