Watch Spike Jonze's short film about cannabis

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/watch-spike-jonzes-short-fil.html

4 Likes

Here’s to the new normal. Please vote for leaders that won’t criminalize cannabis.

13 Likes

Everything you know is wrong!!!

3 Likes
3 Likes

One of the first reports I ever wrote in junior high was on drug prohibition (and how obviously fucked-up it is), with an emphasis on marijuana. This was a year or two before I ever tried it. I always hoped that someday, sanity would reign supreme. And while this era is hardly sane by many benchmarks, at least this is one area that has seen marked improvement over the last decade or so. Still needs to be legalized federally, of course!

4 Likes

And old Enk spoke to random passers by and said in a quiet voice that hardly anyone heard, but those who did, smiled: “Let my people grow”

1 Like

He insinuated it a bit with the visuals, but c’mon Spike. You can say it and should say it. Marijuana criminalization has been closely linked to racism.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/etc/cron.html

6 Likes

Hey, Tricky Dick also didn’t like the hippies!

edit: Despite how chill he should have been, given all the drinking and pill-popping!

2 Likes

Nyah, he didn’t like anybody.

ETA: Maybe I should clarify…he engaged with people, he manipulated others, but I really don’t think he actually liked anybody, even himself.

6 Likes

I’m voting [cough cough] right now man, if you catch my, uh, drift, man.

6 Likes

In my undercaffeinated state I read that as Spike Jonze’s short film about cannibals.

My mind flashed to the joke:

What does Soylent Green taste like? Depends on the people.

4 Likes

Consider who the intended target is. Probably conservative leaning boomers who he’s trying to convince to reexamine their preconceived notions. You toss in the word “racism” and you’ve completely lost their attention, no convincing them of anything after that. That’s why his subtle nod to it is better than saying it directly.

2 Likes

Probably true – but sad.

Good point. That also makes more palatable for me the ending shot of a bland, cliched suburban setting depicted as “The New Normal.” :face_vomiting:

That said, the visual technique in this short is fabulous.

1 Like

the hippies were right

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.