Why we procrastinate and what we can do about it (TED Ed video)

Originally published at: Why we procrastinate and what we can do about it (TED Ed video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

eh i’ll watch that later sometime …maybe

25 Likes

Hurried over here to make basically the same joke: I’ve added it to my YouTube ‘Watch Later’ list.

9 Likes

I’m procrastinating right now!

(oh, papasan…)

12 Likes

I might procrastinate later.

Maybe.

7 Likes

I’m an amaturecrastinator, at best.

9 Likes

Let me think about this, I’ll get around to it.

3 Likes

The video says that “cultivating self-compassion” is one of the most important ways to address procrastination. But how do you distinguish that from “cultivating self-indulgence”?

Going “Eh, so I binge-watched ‘Star Trek’ all weekend when I should have been writing that report, and now I’m in deep shit – but the man on YouTube said there’s no point beating myself up about it, it’ll only make matters worse. So I guess I don’t need to worry” probably doesn’t help solve the problem.

I guess it’s the “Forgive yourself – and then do better.” that makes the difference.

2 Likes

… I’ll do something about it tomorrow :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes
1 Like

the main event horizon is

1 Like

As a life-long procrastinator, I will say that most of my very best work has been done under a self inflicted deadline due to procrastination.

The thing is, that while I am procrastinating, I am also solving every aspect of the problem in my head and when I finally get around to doing the thing, it is quick and easy.

2 Likes

Procrastination is a way of life for me. I need an imminently looming deadline to get most anything done. Even with Concerta, it just means I start a bit sooner than I would have if left to my executive-function free self. #justADHDthings :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Self-compassion is about forgiving yourself, not the action. Binging TV instead of doing work may have been a bad choice, but it doesn’t mean you’re a bad person - just a flawed human with challenges to overcome, like everyone else. Recognizing fault and resolving to improve without shame is self-compassion.

1 Like

was gonna do something but never got around to it

1 Like

thanks for the video, killed 5 minutes when I should have been working!

1 Like

Wow I put off replying to this topic for (almost) way too long

1 Like

“Whadda we want?”
“Procrastination!”
“When do we want it?”
“Meh…”

ed for simplicity

2 Likes

I am not procrastinating - I am going hardcore at reading boing boing

2 Likes

c’mon folks, if you haven’t posted here yet, don’t wait until the last minute!

4 Likes