Why were people thinner in the 1970s?

Yeah thats what i’m getting at. The meaning didnt change. Its just that young enough kids dont know what it means. They do know that these are “bad words” and that these are hurtful things to call some one.

Its kids absorbing and acting out the broad biases around them.

Depends on where you’re at. Where I live your options are black in cans, green in jars, and “spanish” which is green with pimento. I live near a large Greek community so if I go to the supermarket near one of their enclaves. I get the additional option of 14 brands of kalamata. The olive bars look like they havent been freshened in 12 years. And they’re mostly full of kalamata in various marinades.

So good olives means specialty market. And all the specialty markets near here are Italian, which can mean nice olives. But only Italian ones.

I havent seen a nicoise since I left brooklyn. Luckly I am not a big olive guy.

2 Likes

Yo dawg, I heard you like graphs.

Weird. I’m in Denver, and it’s just the regular Kroger supermarkets. Denver has some Italians and Greek SURNAMES running around, but like the Coors family - they’re about 100 years and 4 generations removed from The Old Country.

I hated olives as a kid, but now that age is killing off my Supertaster bitter receptors, I occasionally get the urge to eat a lot of olives. When I do, I’m boggled by the selection.

I’m not terribly surprised by this. One of my favorite snacks is dried mango. It’s surprisingly difficult to find dried mango without sugar added. Mango is a sweet fruit, full of sugar already. There’s absolutely no reason to add sugar to it, EVER, unless maybe you’re making some kind of dessert out of it. They add sugar for literally no other reason than because they can.

5 Likes

“The golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rules.”

1 Like

My wife and I were basically forced to live without any processed foods at all for over a year. We’ve both gained a lot of weight, and even though we’ve always striven to avoid processed foods and make most meals at home, we’re both overweight.

Michael Pollan has interesting things to say about food, but his dietary prescriptions (which my wife takes as gospel) are magical thinking bullshit; the sort of thing you’d expect from someone with hyperthyroidism or end-game cancer (one of which he clearly has).

4 Likes

Would also explain the French.

1 Like

Grew up without TV in the 70s. I spent a lot of time reading books. Also my family played board games. And my sisters and I played dolls. There were creative activities and workbooks and coloring books. So…let’s all not assume that lack of computers, cell phones, and tv meant kids weren’t sedentary and were constantly engaged in physical play.

Still, I find it unlikely that kids or adults were less active in the 70s. Where I lived, riding lawn mowers were unheard of and you cut your own damn grass, instead of hiring (mow and blow guys) landscapers. A lot of people still had clothes lines and if you wanted food sliced or diced, you did it manually instead of using a food processor.

There are studies, however, that indicate more intense workouts leads to more sedentary time. Maybe all that manual labor led to more time on the couch.

7 Likes

Well, if I work all day doing manual labor (such as ripping up pee-pee carpet and throwing it into a dumpster), when I get home, I just lay on my bed for about 45 minutes and fall asleep. I wake up, eat something bad, watch TV for a while and then go to bed for more sleep.

On the other hand, when I had a cubicle job, I sure as H#ll didn’t go work out for 6-8 hours after ‘work’.

6 Likes

I blame the cyclamate ban. ObSF: Inferno by Niven and Pournelle

That might reverse after Brexit. There are only so many turnips you can eat before you lose your appetite.

5 Likes

Its totally besides the point. But that’s not what food processors are for. And generally if you’re slicing and dicing you still do it manually. The food processors and kitchen-aids are generally there so you’re not kneading bread or grating cheese for hours in the midst of spending hours doing other kitchen things. The lazy cook buys pre-cut veg and heats things up. Appliances generally go with spending more time and effort on things.

That said my grandmother had a Cuisinart food processor from the early 1970’s. The other Grandmother (who was the better cook, and lived on a farm), and much of that side of the family (including myself) looked down on this until the late 90’s. You take a look at the mid century period. And its loaded with labor saving devices of all sorts. Especially in the kitchen. Really started to kick off in the depression. But nothing really caught on until the post war period. And a hell of a lot of what we currently deride as unhealthy idleness dates to the 70’s. Either in origin or when it really started to get popular. Microwaves, poptarts, and so forth.

This thread reminded me of this:

And you’ve reminded me of this:

[Edit, to add: Same title, but a different song]

3 Likes

While I don’t agree with his assertion about the influence of junk food and the marketing thereof in making us a larger nation, I think he leaves out a big reason you don’t see more people who look like me in that photo. I was a young adult who spent a lot of time at the Jersey shore in 1976 but I didn’t dare go on the beach, as much as I would have liked to. I had unflattering bathing suits, to say the least, and I was tired of the “BEACHED WHALE!” remarks, so I stuck to the boardwalk arcades. Fat-shaming was (at least to me) much more encouraged and accepted in those days. (Plus, of course, it’s a group shot and it’s not easy to make out every individual in it.)

12 Likes

So - football in fact. :slight_smile: The original(s), that is.

I think you were playing at least one of those games wrong if that’s true.

4 Likes

I’m surprised the pharmas aren’t all over this; a “fat vaccine” would make a ton of money…

2 Likes

It’s not true. American people in 1976 looked just as fat as they do now. When I returned to the states in 1977 after three straight years in Japan, the first thing that struck me getting off the plane from Tokyo at the San Francisco airport was how FAT most people were compared with Japanese. And that impression was reinforced as I made my way across the continent back to New York. Subjective impression? Yes. But the OP’s remark was based on a subjective impression too.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true, but my experience was that “queer” was something I learned you didn’t want to be called, without sexual context. I would have learned this word several years before I was aware of sexuality of any sort.

2 Likes

Thanks! A Bob Wills tune always makes my day.

1 Like