Why won't major websites stop using Flash?

That’s why Graphic Designer is a different occupation than Web Designer.

3 Likes

The BBC seem to have a love-in with has-been platforms, for a long time they were the only significant place I knew still using RealPlayer, it looks like they’re going that way with Flash.

I actually apprenticed under a graphical designer for a summer doing his webdev. The reason I didn’t come back was his insistence on me using Adobe Fireworks to mock up the final product in its entirety as just one big image, slice it up with clickable regions and call that the final draft ready for production.

“We don’t do code here.”

1 Like

Well, can you really blame them? Expecting easy answers seems natural enough, because that’s the general direction of progress when it comes to using computers or doing design, unless you design for the web. (HTML is easy, sure. But add CSS and we’re done with easy.) I’d argue web design has gotten progressively more difficult and complicated with each new layer in the browsers/HTML/CSS/JS complexity sandwich. I wouldn’t say such has been the case for print.

Most apps for web design don’t really make it all that easy, unless you only design for mobile or the desktop. Messing with Adobe Muse a few months ago revealed that while it’s actually a really charming app, it has its own, often hidden, little pains. (Maybe in few years, Muse will be the inDesign of the web, but it certainly isn’t that today.)

Possibly regrettable. But unless tools surface which take a lot of the current difficulties out of web work, is this really unreasonable?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.