Google Chrome to avoid using Flash

[Read the post]

That “Google” icon isn’t big enough.

5 Likes

So, no using Chrome if I want to check Strongbad’s email…

7 Likes

[quote=“jlw, post:1, topic:78156”]
They will turn it on by default for YouTube, cause you know.[/quote]

Pretty sure Youtube uses HTML 5 to play videos whenever possible rather than Flash.

1 Like

Not always though, i think it has to do with certain videos using specific encoding. Recently one of the youtube channels i subscribe to had 2-3 videos that i could not view on Firefox because youtube only had the video available in Flash. I made sure because i downloaded a plugin to force the site to only load HMTL5 videos and it still would not play.
Also Pandora looooooves Flash, even though it can function in HTML5. I’ve searched on ways to use the site without Flash with no success. The same is true for Amazon Music.

2 Likes

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36301904

Huh? I thought Youtube had preferred HTML5 for quite a while now.

They still wrap the player in flash to show you ads.

2 Likes

I wonder how this browser setting will interact with the Flash blocker I’m already running in Chrome.

2 Likes

That’s ok. I am still avoiding using Chrome.

4 Likes

Regarding flash, i have a firefox extension to force flash or HTML5 playback on youtube depending on which PC i’m using.

On my desktop, i use HTML5 for the higher framerate available.
On my little 1.65Ghz laptop, i have to force enable flash playback as flash is GPU accelerated and HTML5 is pure software mode. Said laptop can play 1080p flash video without issue yet can barely run 360p HTML5 without stuttering like crazy.

So this movement to actively kill off flash does worry me somewhat…

2 Likes

They manage to do that on my iPad, which doesn’t do Flash.

1 Like

[quote=“failquail, post:11, topic:78156”]
On my little 1.65Ghz laptop, i have to force enable flash playback as flash is GPU accelerated and HTML5 is pure software mode.[/quote]

Doing a little research into this, I think I understand the issue. It goes to the H.264 codec which is the de facto standard in video streaming. The problem with it is that there’s a lot of patents behind the standard owned by a lot of big players, and Youtube has to pay out royalties and license fees just to show video in H.264.

So Google set out to create their own codec, one that was open source that cost no fees to use called VP8. The problem is no one uses it. Because no one uses it, no one has created hardware acceleration support for it.

So if Youtube shows you a video in VP8 or the newer VP9, your CPU is going to switch into high gear because it can only use software rendering to display the video. If you can force your browser to use a Flash viewer, you’ll get the video in H.264, which is hardware accelerated and much easier for most computers to handle.

7 Likes

What I want to know is, will they include a setting to enable or disable autoplay? Or at least something to allow the video to buffer in the background before it starts playing? It’s crazy how such basic functionality seems elusive.

1 Like

This makes it too easy to download the video

How so? Whether its buffered or not it still delivers the whole video, which can then be saved. Its fantastically easy to download from most major video sites (no matter what format they use) using this site among many others for example.

1 Like

It’s an asshole UI move, only solution I’ve found is a greasemonkey script.

Edit: But it does work great in Chrome!

1 Like

I’ve uninstalled Flash, and have been using Chrome as a backup for when sites still insist upon Flash…

1 Like

If the video is locally buffered then a downloader just needs to copy the buffered stream cache. For unbuffered and strongly-protected video the downloader needs to pretend to be the video display device and do a lot more processing. This is why many of the free capture software programs that were popular 10 years ago stopped working on many sites.

2 Likes

Wait… the engineer is Mr. LaForge?

2 Likes