Wiki for a cult ’70s TV show that does not exist

Originally published at: Wiki for a cult '70s TV show that does not exist | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Well, obviously it exists, now. Just not as a TV show. :wink:

7 Likes

I dunno - the actual '70s BBC kids shows were sometimes so weird that this feels somewhat superfluous.

4 Likes

Based on the unpublished work by L. Ron Hubbard? /s

https://tonyortega.org/2015/01/09/full-forrest-ackerman-interview-from-1997-secret-lives-l-ron-hubbard-released-for-first-time/

After that experience, Hubbard wrote the manuscript he called “Excalibur.” And Ackerman repeats Hubbard’s fantastic tale about the work, that anyone who read it went insane or committed suicide. Ackerman seems to give it some credence. He describes the elaborate rules Hubbard supposedly set down before a publisher could look at it. But Ackerman admits that he never knew anyone who actually read it, and he never saw it himself.

4 Likes

“We can remember it for you, wholesale.”

3 Likes

All it needs now is a “revival” on Syfy.

5 Likes

This reminds me of the first time I saw A Mighty Boosh and it slotted perfectly into the socket in my brain that have been created by decades of weird British TV.

It felt like something that had always been there, but I had forgotten about.

6 Likes

Children of the Stones, ferinstance.

4 Likes

See also Blake’s 7 and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Also, Saphire and Steel - even though not made by the BBC, it was cut from the same cloth…

And The Quatermass Conclusion,

2 Likes

Thank you! I’d never heard of two of those.

2 Likes

Yeah, that one is clearly a big influence on this, I’d say. There were also things like “The Clifton House Mystery,” “The Boy from Space,” “Terrahawks,” “Catweazel,” “The Owl Service,” and the early '80s “Children of Green Knowe,” “Chocky,” and “The Witches and The Grinnygog”… and frankly, probably some “Worzel Gummidge” in there, too. I mean, nightmare fuel:

3 Likes

I’d only heard of Catweazel and Worzel! Thanks!

2 Likes

This reminds me of Candle Cove

Candle Cove isn’t nearly as weird as actual '70s British television.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.