Brawny Disneyland guest removes park's sword in the stone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/18/brawny-disneyland-guest-remove.html

7 Likes

All hail the king!

20 Likes

Finally, we’ve found the True King of England. Let’s get him across the pond tout suite, while there’s still time to stop this Brexit nonsense.

47 Likes

Meghan is the deadly VX gas-armed M55 rockets, and The Royal Family is The Rock.

I am become a perpetual conspiracy machine.

1 Like

You can’t expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you.

55 Likes

Well, most of England: He didn’t get the whole sword after all…

26 Likes

Although technically that bit is referencing the alternative legend of Excalibur – that Arthur didn’t pull it from a stone but was given it by the Lady of the Lake.

20 Likes

Merlin’s intervention saved Wales.

26 Likes

The Imagineer smiths have re-forged Excalibur.
Unspoken in the deep lore of the realm is the new name now held by that sword.

11 Likes

Rumor has it Foxcalibur was a non-starter.

19 Likes

So he didn’t pull it out, he just broke it off. Not only did he destroy the display, he also doesn’t know which direction “up” is.

13 Likes

A “farcical aquatic ceremony”, if you will.

24 Likes

Are guests encouraged to pull the sword, and they just didn’t expect this to happen? Or was it vandalism?

5 Likes

Not even giving the gentleman a lifetime pass?

Cheapskates. Huh.

10 Likes

Not neccisarily alternate. The Sword in the Stone and Excalibur are for the most part 2 different swords. Mostly both those stories will be mentioned or referenced if either is. But there’s stuff where the sword in the stone is explicitly called Excalibur. And some of the material mentions Excalibur without either, or an origin story for the sword at all.

16 Likes

I have a picture somewhere, taken in the 1980:s, of me as a teenager pulling on the handle of the sword. It’s there unguarded amidst the carousels for guests to pose for selfies, but it usually only comes loose during the “special ceremonies” that they hold a couple of times a day. The rest of the time it is held in place by an automated wrench that’s hidden in the base.

13 Likes

Merlin engines in Spitfires and Hurricanes saved the UK.

18 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Being a gentleman of ample size I am consistently called up by Merlin at both WDW and Disneyland as the patsy, before a kid is selected to pull it about 4 inches out of the stone (Merlin having a cast member help to trigger the lock.) Fastened down, it doesn’t budge. I have equally entertaining pictures of me attempting it before a crowd and failing.

Shearing the sword off – by bending? metal fatigue? – is disappointing. Wait for the show, and let the kid win.

14 Likes

So was Aragon’s sword but that didn’t mean he wasn’t the One True King.

14 Likes