Disney continues to wash the stench of Fox off of it's holdings

Disney’s landmark purchase of 20th Century Fox last year is complete, and now the company is looking to phase out the “Fox” branding in its new assets: the 20th Century Fox film studio is being rebranded to just “20th Century Studios,” and Fox Searchlight Pictures is now “Searchlight Pictures,” according to a report from Variety .

The move away from the Fox brand isn’t entirely surprising, given that Fox Corporation — the remaining piece of the original Fox brand — still exists and runs things like Fox News, Fox Sports, and the Fox TV channel that weren’t sold to Disney.

Removing the “Fox” from the studios and film divisions that Disney does own will presumably make things in the entertainment world a little clearer. (The fact that Fox News, in particular, is a politically contentious brand that doesn’t gel with Disney’s politically neutral, family-friendly ethos may have also contributed to the name change.)

5 Likes

In my head I imagine the Fox Fanfare before any Star Wars movie that lacks it.

That’s how I get through the day. :neutral_face:

Alfred Newman wrote the fanfare in 1933. He was still under contract at United Artists when he got the commission from Darryl F. Zanuck, who needed a logo for his newly formed 20th Century Pictures.

20th Century merged with Fox in 1935, and the fanfare was rerecorded.

2 Likes

I’ve read it “Alfred Neuman” and I was shocked until I notice that it was not the same person/character.
The strangest thing is that I’m not an usian nor had I ever seen a MAD magazine, but I still made the association.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.