Fox News has filed a trademark for "OK Boomer" — and they're not the first ones to do it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/21/fox-news-has-filed-a-trademark.html

2 Likes

OK Rupert.

23 Likes

Keith Rupert Murdoch 11 March 1931 (age 88)

7 Likes

That, comically, makes him a member of the Silent Generation, and yet he won’t shut the fuck up.

25 Likes

Charles de Ganahl Koch November 1, 1935 (age 84)

Not that I think that either of them kicking off will usher in the Age of Aquarius at their organizations.

12 Likes

It’s not necessarily Fox News that’s trying this. It’s as likely to be the Fox Network, trying to build a clash-of-generations sitcom around the meme (like CBS did with “Sh*t my Dad Says”). More likely, since Fox News caters to the Olds and is irony-impaired.

17 Likes

The application lists “Fox Media LLC” and an email address at Fox.com. Both of which point to the TV networks, which are owned by Disney.

So yeah seems nothing to do with Fox News.

6 Likes

You think having a trademark will stop people from using the phrase and possibly capitalizing on it at some cheap-o snarky T-shirt site?

Ok, boomer.

6 Likes

giphy%20(2)

10 Likes

Thus confirming my initial suspicion that for every millennial and younger person using the term, there are ten X’ers and older discussing its implications and ways to monetize it.

(also, as others have pointed out, the distinction between Fox and Fox News is not trivial–seems like something that should be corrected)

6 Likes

Fox Broadcasting isn’t owned by Disney – it remained with Murdoch after 21st Century Fox was sold to Disney. From the e-mail address you referenced, it looks like that company and not FX (now Disney owned) filed the trademark application.

8 Likes

waitaminnit…

“this application even includes the trademark “…,” which Boomers love to use in place of all other punctuation,”

firstly, [Citation needed], and secondly, when did this become a thing? it’s a new subset of this boomer classifying that i have never seen before.

4 Likes

Don’t look now, but there’s ellipses at the bottom of every message on this forum!

3 Likes

All your meme are belong to us.

4 Likes

Giving it more than a 30 second look on the toilet. Fox.com is the broadcast Networks and other Newscorp bits. I had mistaken the itty bitty logos. But “Fox Media LLC” points away from Fox News. So like you said. Probably the broadcast Network.

Plus the application has an address in LA and Fox News is based in New York.

Disney didn’t buy the broadcast network itself. But they did buy the associated TV production studio and most of the in house IP (like the Simpsons). So it can be a little mucky to figure out which is what. Googling “Fox Media LLC” most of the results relate to the Disney owned Fox Entertainment.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Fox Newsertainment: the Pearl Clutcher Network

2 Likes

You didn’t get the memo?!

meh, i’m Gen-X, so i get left out of shit all the time.

…still, as someone who uses ellipsis all the time, being lumped in with boomers for a typographical affectation super chaps my ass.

8 Likes

Has anyone considered that it’s a move to silence the ‘OK Boomer’ meme, by opening anyone who, for instance, prints an ‘OK Boomer’ T-shirt to a trademark infringement suit?

2 Likes