Sweden: Girl, 8, pulls a 1,500-year-old sword out of a lake where she and her dad were swimming

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/04/sweden-sword.html

17 Likes

I’m… pretty sure this makes her the King of England.

Edit: I know this happened in Sweden, but unless you have a definite location for Avalon, you can’t prove to me this wasn’t bestowed upon her by the Lady of the Lake.

64 Likes

kneels before the new Queen of Sweden

30 Likes

Obligatory:

34 Likes

22 Likes

Obligatory:

58 Likes

thank you. came here expecting it to be the first post, but i’m happy it’s in here somewhere at all.

16 Likes

Is it … The Mighty Zephyr Blade?

2 Likes

I dunno, Inga said she was a mean poopy-head who put a snail in her hair and keeps pinching Olaf when the teacher isn’t looking.

3 Likes

something something farcical aquatic ceremony

12 Likes

I’ve always been amazed by how they can take a piece of metal that looks like the sword, something rusty and looks like a piece of cooked bacon, and then turn it back into a shiny object which is mostly intact.

7 Likes

I hope Saga is her middle name.

First name “Epic”.

17 Likes

Unfortunately, what was her family’s favorite secret swimming hole is now full of old guys with metal detectors.

17 Likes

Someone needs to turn this into an epic story - The Saga of the Sword of Saga.

6 Likes

Obligatory yet slightly obscure citation from John Boorman’s Excalibur (SPOILER ALERT, this clip is the end of the film for those who don’t know how the Arthurian Legend concludes):

And here’s how I imagine little Saga got the thing out of the water:

10 Likes

She’s got some competition.

And it’s the right Arthurian Legend lake too.

Maybe Saga is Queen of Sweden and Matilda is Queen of the Britons.

22 Likes

I dearly love this weirdly and wildly uneven film. Even have the DVD.

12 Likes

I think this is about as good a basis for a system of government as anything else we’ve come up with.

14 Likes

Good news is that because of climate change we are probably going to be making absolutely amazing cultural discoveries all the damn time.

Bad news is that because of climate change we are all going to die in a relatively insignificant amount of time immediately afterwards.

10 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. So many coastal sites are already submerged, and that’s just going to get worse. Probably all the earliest evidence of North American settlement has been submerged since the end of the ice age, for instance.

2 Likes