Second North American Viking site suspected

[Read the post]

6 Likes

Viking, n.:

1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.

2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagarā€™s note:
The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

17 Likes

I wonder why they didnā€™t stay? Unfortunately, they arenā€™t telling.

2 Likes

There is another definition, concerning northern athletes who in ancient times would lose championships, but in later years would fail to reach them. I can confirm the existence of a second site on which they built two settlements, the newer upon the ruins of the older. It is not too many miles from the first site, which in modern times is the location of a mall.

8 Likes

Likely the Beothic didnā€™t like themā€¦ or the Inuit. (There is an inuit legend about retaliatory killing a group of white men by disguising themselves as icebergs and floating right into their campā€¦ google is failing me, it was a filmā€¦ dammit)

When I went to Lā€™Anse aux Meadows there was much talk of the area being called ā€œVinelandā€ which if youā€™ve been up there, makes no sense. We know they were there, and that they moved on, but not to where, makes sense theyā€™d go to the west coast of the rock, its a totally different climate. Green and growing, not so barren, possibly where they meant when they said ā€œvinelandā€. Neato!

10 Likes

What if the Viking stayed long enough for steel making to be passed to the Native Americans, especially those in South America.

And what if, more importantly, they had infected them with small pox and other Old World diseases, meaning that by 1492 the population would have rebounded and gained some immunity. America and the world would look veeerrrryyyy different.

13 Likes

What are they talking about? Hagar the Horrible has been in in North America since 1973

7 Likes

aliens

How 'bout some context for that pic?

4 Likes

How things have changed!

11 Likes

I donā€™t blame them.

From the NASA Ames Research Center: Procedure to Follow in the Event That Building 245 is Attacked by Vikings

3 Likes

I think I read that it had to do with cranberries, which are kind of like grapes, even though they grow in a bush.

1 Like

Hey, Rob @beschizza, where did you get that photo? I think I know those people!

2 Likes

The second is the actually the more accurate. Viking was effectively a job, a trade, a roll. I means something along the lines of ā€œpirateā€ or ā€œraiderā€. Not all groups described as Vikings were Norse, and apparently a non-trivial number of those in Norse lead groups were Irish or from other areas of Northern Europe. Settlement in North America seemed aimed at, well settling. As well as providing resources for settlements in Greenland, so these are better described as Norse settlements since there wasnā€™t much raiding involved. Which is sort of the Norseā€™s schtick, they did a lot of settling and and a lot of traiding. Founded most of the major cities in Ireland, and a large number of the ones in Eastern Russia.

Iā€™d guess clashes with the locals and inability to keep themselves properly supplied and in contact with other Norse holdings. Particularly because these were offshoots of Greenland settlements, and those seemed to fail around the same period. Pretty much the same things that caused early European settlements to fail during the early part of that whole colonialism thing.

Its interesting stuff.

3 Likes

Nice try with your fancy Mad Men marketing, ā€œNewfoundland!ā€ More like OLD foundland.

2 Likes

ā€¦ a documentary of their efforts will be presented this month on PBS.

Dunno about PBS, but the BBC seems to be covering Dr Parcakā€™s work at the moment (like, right now, this minute):

1 Like

Watched the BBC documentaryā€¦Talk about tenuous ā€˜evidenceā€™. Wishful thinking Iā€™m afraid.

Pffft.

Jarg was here.

On rocks.

Inland.

America.

These were the people who had come up with the name ā€œGreenlandā€. So eliding grapes and some sort of berries is a relatively minor embellishment in comparison.

6 Likes

Or it could be like ā€˜Greenlandā€™ ā€“ a name meant to attract settlers.

1 Like