Second North American Viking site suspected

Back in those days, their technology only allowed for six seconds of video at a time.

6 Likes

Suspicious! Lots of syncopated drums and brass! Runed, Frost Giant artifacts and currencies. Rudimentary brass bass pedals. Lots of ancient PC-Engine-ish Vanillaware influences. Reindeer-trimmed platform shoes and heathen knotwork. Pivot tables comparing deconstructed and rewilded Inuit foods to kinds of deer jerky.

If you ever want to piss off a Canadian, tell them “Canada” comes from the Spanish “aqua hay nada” (pronounced a-KAH ay nada") – means “There’s nothing here”. [ It doesn’t come from that ].

4 Likes

Problem is we all grew up on this thrilling drama!

4 Likes

If you tell a Canadian “aqua hay nada” (there’s no water)…

edited to add: Soy idiota.

4 Likes

On the other hand Canadians take pride in this one:

“[…] the attempt to lure our fellow countrymen to this desolate, subarctic region is, upon humanitarian grounds alone, to be denounced as criminal”.

• The Hamburger Nachrichten, on German migration to Canada
3 Likes

Wasn’t it during a warm period, and everything ruing by the little cooling? whatever those periods were called?

Ah, don’t confused agua (water) and aqua (here) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Generally it is thought that it was too far for little gain and the natives were rather violently against it.

#LARPers in the Mist

2 Likes

In the name of Allfather, I thought we all agreed that Ketil would write the saga and the rest of us would battle the Skraelings. Please tell me that someone wrote the saga.

8 Likes

Canadian Spanish is a very pure form, more true to its Latin roots. [looks the internet straight in the eye]

8 Likes

Jesus, just because they are walking around with swords doesn’t mean you know them. :wink:

Also side note - do you follow Ralph Banski on Facebook? He posts some cool stuff.

Much like Canadian French right? :wink:

1 Like

In the case of Vikings, the odds are surprisingly good. Also ancient Celts. (But not Romans, I never hang out with those guys.) I could swear I’ve seen those shields, and several of the faces look familiar, but the tree with the spanish moss is not compatible with who I think those people are :frowning: .

Nah, I’m not on facebook, and I receive endless grief about this from several of my remotely located friends. But I already have too many time-suckers in my life! I can’t afford another!

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be “acá hay nada”? Also wouldn’t that make no sense since acá is used with verbs of motion like “come here”, so you’d say “aquí hay nada,” and idiomatically wouldn’t you be much more likely to say “no hay nada aquí”? I only took Spanish through high school (and then practiced a little by embarrassing myself talking to hispanic people poorly post-HS), so I might be off. The whole thing seems like someone’s weak joke was stretched into an urban legend.

2 Likes

And not nearly as sick a burn as “Quelques arpents de neige”.

Seems unlikely to have been due to poor interactions with Inuit as they didn’t migrate that far west east until several hundred years after the Vikings had retreated from all but their Greenland settlements. At the time of the Vinland settlements they were still largely located in modern-day Alaska.

(The Dorset and Innu, on the other hand, might be possibilities.)

SCHOOLED!!! Yes you are right.

I speak Spanish occasionally (mostly broken) and never write it. All these years of speaking I thought of aqui (with accent over i) when writing aqua (with accent over second a). Never thought it was aca (Accent over second a).

Really wish I had a good reason to improve my skills. Like many things, the less important falls to the side. As a kid, I spent big chunks of many summers with relatives down in Mexico. Good times.

It is driving me crazy that this film is not online! C’mon! It was a Canadian educational film from the 70s! Ugh! Best I can do is this: (The film was the story of this saga but from the Aboriginals point of view)

If the Norse sagas are to be believed, Leif Erikson never actually met aboriginal people when he explored the coast of North America although he glimpsed their encampments. During the next expedition, let by Leif’s brother Thorvald, there was a tragic confrontation, which might be seen as setting a symbolic precedent in relations between North America’s First Nations and Europeans. According to one saga, as Thorvald sailed the Labrador coast on a summer day, his ship stopped on shore to fix the boat keel. Soon after, the sailors came upon a group of aboriginal people they called skraelings watching them from under skin boats. During the ensuing melee, the Vikings killed all but one skraeling, but Leif’s brother was also killed. Archeologists do not know whether these skraelings were Inuit or Amerindian hunters. The death of Thorvald marked a growing uneasiness for Viking explorers considering permanent settlement.

http://www.landoffirstcontact.ca/sites/8-lanse-aux-meadows

2 Likes