Sweden: Girl, 8, pulls a 1,500-year-old sword out of a lake where she and her dad were swimming

Doesn’t she first have to swim to the bottom of the lake and kill Grendel’s mother-in-law?

16 Likes

I’m trying really hard to imagine a scenario where this is worse that what we already have.

Long live neróspathíkóricracy!

8 Likes

well i din’t vote fer e’r

4 Likes

Definite advantages to it being a girl, mind.

NSFW

Oglaf
20 Likes

So you are the king because some aquatic tart gave you a sword? Hmmm, given the rather regressive gender roles of those stories, wouldn’t these two girls be more likely candidates to be the Lady of the Lake rather than the divinely appointed ruler? Who knows, maybe the faerie realm has done better at keeping up with the times than some aged rulers in DC!

3 Likes

Don’t see why women can’t be kings. Even in countries without a monarchy there are plenty of the inverse.

3 Likes

18 Likes

Well, Inga and Olaf better keep their eyes open because she’s got a sword now…

1 Like

FTFY but am not happy about this variant either.

2 Likes

AND THUS THERE SHALL BE A MIGHTY BATTLE BETWEEN THE SWORD QUEENS… followed by lovely cake and biscuits, lemonade and perhaps a cup of The as the problems of the world faded for a few minutes… Well, well, back to work.

3 Likes

Interesting use of “Siegfrieds Death and funeral march” by Richard Wagner in the first clip. I also remember that movie using “O Fortuna” from the Carmina Burana by Carl Orff in the battle scene.

6 Likes

This is why it’s been kept secret for three months:

The sword has prompted teams including museum staff to carry out further searches in the area, though none have resulted in such an important find. The first led to the discovery of the brooch but the oldest object found in the second search, on Wednesday, was a coin from the 18th century.

“We asked Saga [not to tell anyone about the sword] because we were afraid that if this find would go public too soon, there would be a lot of people there, perhaps destroying our possibility to find things later,” he added.

8 Likes

Not 100%. The ice sheets pressed down on the land, forcing it lower. As the ice melted, the land rebounded. There are a few sites in Alaska where the rebound was great enough to keep the Pleistocene coastline still above water today (subject to change as sea levels rise this century, sadly). Obviously archaeologists are very happy when they identify an area where the old coastline is still above water.

I can’t find the article I’m thinking of that talks about these unicorn areas directly, but this one mentions them in passing:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/most-archaeologists-think-first-americans-arrived-boat-now-they-re-beginning-prove-it

6 Likes

“Most archaeologists think the first Americans arrived by boat.”

That’s according to the Texas Education Agency.

12 Likes

While it may be exciting to believe a young with such a regal name has written her own chapter in the Arthurian legend - her father thinks the sword’s origins are more recent.

Mr Jones said: ‘I don’t think it’s particularly old. It’s probably an old film prop.’

Magic sword. Hasn’t rusted, must be magic, QED. Duh.

5 Likes

The local museum, where the sword is now being kept

I know how Saga feels. When I was a child I found some cool flint arrow heads, and my parents and the local museum wouldn’t let me keep them too. I didn’t even get them displayed with my name next to them, they probably just put them in a box somewhere.

(Seriously though, they belong there. I found them on the Solway Firth, so the chances were that I hadn’t discovered an important archaeological dig, It was lucky I found anything at all after thousands of years of tides.)

6 Likes

Oh for Pete’s sake, read the next line. It’s a joke. Of course, if you have to explain a joke, it’s not funny. I guess I will keep my day job.

1 Like

I think I remember a prophecy where she gets to be president of America immediately, at least until 2020 when we roll the dice and give the representative democracy thing another try. We could certainly do worse.

5 Likes

Watery tarts handing out swords is no basis for a system of government.

3 Likes

Oh, no I got that, I was just making one of my own, but like you said, if I have to explain my joke…

3 Likes