Sweden: Girl, 8, pulls a 1,500-year-old sword out of a lake where she and her dad were swimming

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

You remind me of a stone point I saw in a small museum on Gwynn’s Island, Mathews County, VA. The point was brought up by a scallop trawl working off the eastern coast of VA, out near the continental shelf. The style helped determine the age (sorry - can’t quote either now*) and the lack of wear indicated that it hadn’t been washed downstream but had instead been directly deposited approximately where found many thousands of years later. Remarkable find.

Regarding the museum, I strongly recommend a visit if remotely in the area (and it is a bit remote). They have some terrific post-settlement stuff, including a unique local version of the Capt. John Smith story where he was stung by a ray while wading ashore and thought he would die, so ordered his men to dig his grave. They also have a large number of locally-found, pre-settlement stone points. A few years back I found an intact clay pipe on the beach of the island, which I subsequently donated to the museum. Turns out it’s the best preserved one they have and is estimated at 300-400 years old. Best walk on the beach ever!

ETA:
*Reading an article linked above I was reminded that it was a Clovis point. Hat tip to @Glaurung!

3 Likes

Hope they made her queen instantly. ALL HAIL OUR NEW MATRIARCH.

Thank you. I saw this on FB and made roughly the same comment and no one got it

1 Like

Oregon’s Paisley Caves, which yielded a 14,200-year-old human coprolite.

Someone took a historic dump. “That’s one dump for (a) man, one giant turd for mankind! Someone invent a candle!”

3 Likes

2 Likes

I, for one, have confidence in her sagacity.

4 Likes

Snap. And what a cast list. Helen Mirren. Gabriel Byrne. Clive Swift. Liam Neeson. Corin Redgrave. Ciarán Hinds. Patrick Stewart.

It’s where it’s always been:

7 Likes

2 Likes

I was about to say, that I hope she could now claim the throne of Sweden!

And here I learned she’s from my home state of Minnesota! https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2018/10/8-year-old-skipping-stones-finds-a-1500-year-old-sword/

1 Like

#TCBO1

There%20Can%20Be%20Only%20One

7 Likes

I bet there’s a skeleton next to it

2 Likes

Now THAT was unfair, considering you found them.

3 Likes

Oh great, I don’t see this until 52 comments in and can’t quote my avatar because 18 people already have…

Damned watery tarts…

8 Likes

dang, Newfoundland really puts the Penins in Peninsula…

2 Likes

Matilda/Saga 2020. For Queens of the World. Can’t be worse than the giant toddler in charge now.

8 Likes

I just hope we don’t have a repeat of the last time there was a Queen Matilda

5 Likes

I know I should not publicize how underinformed I am, but please… what movie or show is this a clip from?

Cuz —sheesh— there’s a lot going on there!

1 Like

Eeek! Painful!
Any chance this contemporary young lass in question is an upgraded Matilda?

1 Like

Thats - “There Can Be Only One” from Highlander.

1 Like