Wikipedia's list of "long-term abusers" reads like a roster of pathetic supervillains

Originally published at: Wikipedia's list of "long-term abusers" reads like a roster of pathetic supervillains | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Ultra-nationalists and music fans are heavily represented in this list of deranged obsessives.

6 Likes

My favourite is:
Caidin-Johnson

Nonsense edits at television shows for young children, [Looney Tunes] articles, and topics related to [Happy Tree Friends] ; also known for hoaxing at [List of Crayola crayon colors]. Obsessed with inflatable, bursting, popping, and bouncing objects.

‘also known for hoaxing at List of Crayola crayons colors’ is how they got Al Capone.

8 Likes

Clearly assholes, but! If I saw those names on this weekend’s flyer for the local dive bar, I’d check them out. Them’s some sweet band names.

5 Likes

I asked my pet AI (Midjourney) to take a crack at these villian personas.

5 Likes

I briefly contributed to Wikipedia on a topic about which I have considerable expertise. I know the literature and I can give citations. But I gave it up because it was somewhat politically fraught and anything I wrote kept being re-edited by someone with an agenda. I guess there’s some methodology to resolve things like this, but the fact remains, basically, anyone with any background in the subject can be overwritten by a 10-year-old. I still use it, as a consumer, bearing in mind it is not really authoritative, it is just a somewhat randomly curated secondary source. But I gave up contributing.

7 Likes

I suspect this also means there’s a similar roster of very small-scale superheroes who, instead of watching over Gotham City or Metropolis, are devoted and dependable guardians of Wikipedia articles on the history of the harpsichord, some random school district in Oklahoma, the 1986 board game Fireball Island, pickle soup, etc. etc.

4 Likes

I gather the list is long, but not infinite.

One could dedicate ones life to searching out and insulting/questioning the motives of/punching the noses of these gentlemen (I’m confident that they are all males).

Like this guy…

Bowerick Wowbagger | Hitchhikers | Fandom.

1 Like

That is Wikipedia’s list of pathetic long-term abusers. It doesn’t include the serious long-term abusers, or the institutional ones.

3 Likes

First thing I did was Ctrl+F for “nationalist”. Was not surprised, especially the Croatian one. Croatian Wikipedia itself has had a nationalism problem since its creation. Even Jimmy Wales called it out many years ago. The main perpetrators were finally banned only in 2021, but the damage done will take decades to repair. More info here: Croatian Wikipedia - Wikipedia

3 Likes

That Cow cleaner 5000 gig last night was wild.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.