William S. Burroughs: "A Thanksgiving Prayer" (1986)

Take our leader with you!

2 Likes

If I ran point on first contact…

9 Likes

Sure, we can’t have pedophiles in office, but it’s not a binary choice, either. Pedophiles in all realms should be ostracized. Writing a fucking book that mutants like isn’t a pass.

2 Likes

He just gets a whole lot of airtime on a blog that otherwise is very vociferous about finger-pointing at awful people.

2 Likes

I do think the sets of Germans and Jews still overlap. Is there something inherently anti-semitic about Oktoberfest that I’m not aware of?

2 Likes

I know some German Jews who definitely like Oktoberfest. They even drive German cars…

3 Likes

Many creative types especially the more mutant ones will fail Moral Purity Tests.

Shall we like Mao’s Red Guards dig up WSB’s remains for desecration and denunciation?

4 Likes

Agreed. We need to concentrate on the project at hand involving the living. I’m not ready to throw out most of Latin and Greek canon just yet.

2 Likes

I’m sure some American Indians enjoy baseball, hot dogs and apple pie. And drive F-150s. No one’s claiming they’re any more of a monolith than any other group of people. shrug

3 Likes

Eh. One, WSB is pretty much at the opposite of the Moral Purity Test. Not really the hill you want to die on.

Two, maybe now’s a good time in history to start looking for better mutants?

2 Likes

My point exactly. I despise Moral Purity Tests wherever on the political spectrum they come from.

Those who pass a Moral Purity Test?

Is there anything inherently German about Oktoberfest is an equally good question and equally OT.

I didn’t start this segue.

1 Like

I enjoy Sade, Batille, Genet, Bowles, Celine, Burroughs and many others.
Am I a perv? Hell yeah.
Do I take it out on others? No, no I don’t.

Are you saying that you think that I am in the wrong place?

4 Likes

If we’re going to parse these gentlemen’s (and lady’s’?) records, we’re going to need a bigger thread…

3 Likes

Would you say you’re… disappointed with BoingBoing?

1 Like

Do you administrate a blog in which you routinely call out indefensible behavior when the perpetrator doesn’t align with your views and then routinely aggrandize a predatory pedophile because you read a book once that inspired you? There are plenty of artists I admire and can separate from their personal lives, but I’m also not going out of my way to contribute to the cultural hagiography of monsters.

And you know what? Being a “perv” is nothing like pedophilia. Child sex abuse is one of the most rampant and unspoken crimes that leaves victims shattered not just for life, but impacts families for generations. Boroughs gets too damn much traffic on this site with nary a qualifier while his victims still suffer as his bony old ass rots.

3 Likes

13 headlining posts since 2014 with nary a mention of his past? Yeah, sure. Disappointed sounds about right.

I adore this blog and the writers not just for the excellent work they put out here, but the myriad amazing things they’ve brought to the world elsewhere, but my stomach turns every time I see his name here. Fuck Burroughs.

2 Likes

I’m OK then?
Oh good, I’m glad you think so.
I think I’ll go have a big fat Burroughs Burger with a little Sade on the side right now.

I promise not to get any on ya’.

Privilege is good for many things, but none moreso than inadvertently exposing the fact you don’t really give a shit.

1 Like