Wind turbines take on a sinister quality when videotaped

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/25/wind-turbines-take-on-a-sinister-quality-when-videotaped.html

9 Likes

These are the ones that cause cancer.

18 Likes

I for one welcome our wind turbine overlords.

17 Likes

*definitely not videotaped.

10 Likes

Iä! Iä! Algore fhtagn!

12 Likes

Tilting at windmills has never sounded like a better idea than it does now

13 Likes

Nice CGI, but the masking of the pole, cables, tree, etc. definitely needs work.

BTW, here’s the original Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ut6egHxjV/?igshid=bj644r6bkaao

@frauenfelder, credit should be added; the artist is Joshua Drury.

10 Likes

“videotaped”? Really?

5 Likes

That’s odd, when I went there, I came away, gay down my right-hand side, immune to Covid-19, and able to pick up 5G anywhere in the world.

11 Likes

Nor even videorecorded, apparently!

1 Like

Normally the blades appear sharp and unyielding but in the video they’re plush and slow. I’m really perplexed by the wording in the headline and caption.

2 Likes

Videotaped…yikes. More like the effect of digital video frame rate and shutterspeed:

6 Likes

To be clear, sometimes rotating objects like airplane propellers will appear to bend or detach when captured by a camera with a rolling shutter, such as on a cell phone. However, the effect seen in the posted video was synthesized by its creator and isn’t a camera artifact.

12 Likes

Videotape, seriously? tape?

1 Like

I’ve shooped a lot of woops in my time and this certainly looks like CGI to me rather than an in-camera effect with the proper shutter speed. A good giveaway is the shadows of the blades

3 Likes

In theory the effect should change depending on how windy it is. I do notice some of the windmills in the rear have less of the noodley appendage thing going on.

(also, nice use of the word “eldritch” in the description.)

So if the blades were actually shaped like this, how would they look when videotaped then?

Or, in this case, a special effect created by a person, deliberately.

2 Likes

Big deal.
They always look like that, until the 'shrooms wear off…

2 Likes

Obligatory xkcd:

5 Likes