Windows 11 now has pop ups straight-up telling users to get rid of Google

iirc, the apple store login is in the application. this is a pop-up at the os level.

i’m sure you’re right that it’s for telemetry. microsoft got called out when they started dark patterning people into using microsoft accounts to collect telemetry. for whatever reason, people seem to complain less loudly about apple doing the same

yeah. and google got it trouble for privileging their own services on search. the verge has a screenshot of what it’s like to search for chrome on bing - and it’s much much worse

i’ve got to imagine it’s us only search results

6 Likes

Google Gmail constantly asks me to switch to Chrome, even though it obviously works fine with Safari.

Popups! Popups everywhere!

12 Likes

My Win7 desktop has gotten a bit long in the tooth and I’ve been thinking about something new.

While Win7 is not all fresh air & sunshine, Win10 just smells bad to me, and MS has has been doing everything they can to kill 10 and replace it with 11. So Windows 10 is out unless I buy a used/refurb PC.

I will not allow 11 to contaminate any of my machines, so a new PC with preinstalled Windows is out of the question.

With each new release MS moves Windows further in a direction I do not like, and it looks like Win11 is the final straw. (Windows 11’s Potential Subscription-Based Cloud Future Revealed by FTC | Tom's Hardware)

I’ve been running various flavors of Linux for years, both in dual-boot configurations and in VMs, so, I’m thinking it’s time to add some RAM and a more spacious hard drive and go to Linux or BSD full time.

A few older games are all I’ve needed Windows for in the last few years. Wine can probably handle those, or (gasp!) ReactOS in a VM. My former occupation required me to use the occasional Windows-based compiler which, again, could be handled by Wine or ReactOS. As a known computer nerd, I do still sometimes get called upon to service Windows PCs, but I can still keep up and do that job for the foreseeable future.

When I do finally assemble a new desktop PC, it will be a Linux or BSD box. Period.

Congrats, MS, you’ve driven off another customer.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Linux full-time for about two years now and, while I haven’t quite broken it completely, there are all kinds of weird and random issues that come up (like I currently can’t access the BBS using Firefox for some reason). It’d be nearly impossible for someone who isn’t super computer savvy to use as their main operating system.

I’ll take all the random weirdness over Windows any day, though.

6 Likes

When Vista came out, I said, I’m going to try Linux, and I never looked back. I’m running Ubuntu Studio and Mint because they’re better than Windows.

I think Microsoft has forgotten what an operating system is for.

9 Likes

Huh? I just bought a nearly-5-year-old laptop with an 8th generation i5 and Windows 11 works fine on it. I’m not a huge fan of Windows, but when I can buy 4-5-year-old Lenovo T series laptops for $200 on eBay with a Windows 10/11 Pro license (I always do a full wipe/reinstall when I buy one, just in case), it’s really hard to justify spending the money for a Mac. And I’m not quite confident enough in my Linux knowledge to support my kids using Linux.

8 Likes

I refer to it as The Redmond Virus.

They never knew to begin with. The OG Windows was layered on top of DOS, and as such wasn’t really an OS but rather a crappy UI.

8 Likes

I just want to note that, for those who are Linux-curious, you can very easily try it out by installing it on a flash drive and booting from that. I’d recommend Mint. It’s a spin-off of Ubuntu that is easy to use. You might be surprised.

I have found that the local computer repair people here can provide support for Linux, not just Windows.

If you need to use Adobe software, Linux is not for you. The story may be the same for highly specialized applications. But you can watch Netflix, run Blender, and do all other sorts of things.

The one thing that bothered me about Linux is that all the names for things are jokes, so when you read about things like Bash and Gimp, it can be really confusing at first. But you get used to it.

8 Likes

The 90s called, they want their BBS topic back.

8 Likes

Turns out I have a 5 year old Lenovo T460s with an i5 but it took trying to install Win11 to find out the processor is not supported (looks like it only works with 8th generation or higher - mine is 6th gen :rage:).

So, all the latest Core i5 processors such as the 13th generation Core i5-13600K, 12th generation Core i5-12400, 11th generation Core i5-11400, and so on down to the 8th generation Core i5-8400, are all compatible with Windows 11.

Unfortunately, Core i5 CPUs that belong to the 7th generation of Core processors and below will not work with Windows 11. If you have one, your only option would be to upgrade to a newer generation if you want to run the latest OS.

Yeah, looks like Win11 supports some 7th gen i7, but for i3 or i5 you need 8th gen or newer.

But I’m not sure Win11 represents any major advantages over Win10. In our household we only have the one laptop running Win11. Everything else runs Win10 (an i3 desktop and two i5 laptops–all 4th gen–and a 5th gen i7 laptop) and Win10 works perfectly fine for us. Heck I only upgraded the desktop from Win7 when MS stopped supporting Win7. I would have been perfectly happy if the “new” laptop came with Win10, too, but it didn’t.

3 Likes

It’s not the BBS topic but MS that’s stuck in the 90s.

7 Likes

The 90s? Don’t get me started on my upgrade from DOS to crash-happy Windows 98.

7 Likes

The section of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0&t=542s) between approx 00:09:00 and 00:12:00 is particularly relevant. Effectively, with a few extra moments of effort, you can install Windows 11 on almost any computer. The only thing that’s been broken by such methods is official MS support, but let’s be real, who actually calls MS for OS support?

5 Likes

I thought MS calls us to offer support now? Wait, you mean that’s not actually MS calling?

2 Likes

I’m tempted to test one of my older PCs with Linux and Proton to see what games I can keep playing, mostly the older ones from the early 2000s I’m thinking will be touch and go but over all if enough of them work through Proton I’ll just switch over to Linux cause I’m getting tired of M$’ bullshit.

6 Likes

I haven’t had Windows on a computer since the first previews of the Windows 8 UI were released. I wiped 7 from my computer and installed Linux. I happily used various distros until my computer crashed in 2016. I then bought a MacBook because I was thinking of and eventually did go back to school and that required Adobe products. I like macOS but miss the customizability of Linux. Now that I’m in the market for a new computer, I’m unsure what I’ll buy. Apple has me in there ecosystem now, but I primarily use their services on my phone and iPad. I’ll likely end up buying a mac mini and a decent laptop I can install Linux on instead of another MacBook.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine Windows 98 stamping on a human face forever”

5 Likes

:: raises hand ::
I have, at least not for OS support, but for one of the server roles. Unfortunately, they were of zero help whatsoever with the problem we had.

4 Likes

Ditto. We had events left with our subscription that was going to expire soon, so figured what the hell, no loss either way. They were like “yeah, guess that happens”, and refunded the event. Dunno if they ever fixed it.

Fun one too. If you tried to exec BCP in Sql Server itself, the system would hard lock. Very hard, as in hard power off is the only way. Not great for a server.

1 Like