Wisconsin: America's top voting-machine security expert says count was irregular; Fed judge says gerrymandering was unconstitutional

They aren’t binding, but she isn’t gearing up her legal team to work over the weekend.

2 Likes

Because in the case of Trump it’s starting to look more and more like the plan is to give he and his team all the rope they need.

3 Likes

I’m less concerned by this (I doubt there’s anything in it) than I am by the blatant attempt by the GOP to steal the NC Governor’s election.

And I would like to see the Democratic party acting like the one that overwhelmingly won the popular election and being a lot more vocal.

11 Likes

So this goes one of two ways if it becomes federal law that districts have be a result of census findings.

1. This get less Gerrymandered, drinks all around, clinky clinky
  2. Republicans start (continue?) a smear campaign to discredit the census and plant further seeds of fear about “federal databases” and the government knocking on your door…
1 Like

The White House has reportedly asked Clinton not to challenge the Wisconsin, Michigan or Pennsylvania counts, because doing so could threaten the much-vaunted “smooth transfer of power.”

Any other Republican, fine. The pendulum swings back and forth.

Racist oompa loompa, no fucking way we should hand over the farm to the wolves.

6 Likes

but this is one of the edge cases. probably the “o” of @fnordius’ simplified explanation of the German election system

1 Like

To hang themselves, or to hang the rest of us?

6 Likes

I’d guess the long game is to watch the implosion of the Republican party when Trump is unable or uninterested in actually fulfilling any of his campaign promises and the lower/middle class R voters suddenly realize that they’ve never been part of the equation.

All the previous politicians at least pretended to care. Trump will get disinterested and dismiss them with a wave of his hand when they start asking about the wall or Mexico paying for it.

That we are all in the same fucking train watching the engine explode is not something I’m happy about however. I wish we could be airlifted off this fucker and watch it from afar.

7 Likes

Districts are the result of the census and if the GOP’s base does not fill out the census they would be crushed.

The census needs all the people terrified of filling out the census to do so - the inner city and immigrants for example. A handful of random rural voters doesn’t sway the GOP, all of the people that don’t fill the census information out in the cities will.

3 Likes

People and the party hate Hillary because of it, so why would they not follow Obama who continues to be the most popular Democratic leader?

1 Like

Sure, but that’s what I had in mind when I qualified my statement. When he then replied that the issue was moot, I gave in to the temptation to clarify that I stood by what I had said. I would never have replied to that remark if it had not looked an awful lot like a correction.

And yes, I know that that was petty.

3 Likes

And it’s not even playing by the rules. The rules allow legal challenges. The rules don’t prohibit calling into question the stated results.

6 Likes

Hey everyone. We know most of you voted for Hillary and we know there has been serious discrepancy in the electronic voting systems post Russian hacker involvement in the election. We are also aware that Russia endorsed Trump and worked to sway the election for him and we have seen the illegal gerrymandering going on. We know all of this, but we want to say Trump has a mandate and a smooth transition of power is much more important than putting the person in office who was actually elected. Besides, we don’t want to look too closely at our election system. It could embarrass some people. So, in order to keep the very important status quo, we would like everyone to just be quiet and accept Trump as your new leader. Ok?

12 Likes

Oh, many were extremely clever, but they were going into uncharted territory when framing the second Constitution. The first articles of confederation were a failure, and both that failure as well as the memories of British rule coloured their ideas. I suspect they would be surprised at how long their experiment actually lasted.

1 Like

Well, that’s why I have you guys. I know I was oversimplifying. :vulcan_salute:

I would say that even the anomaly of 2001, when three seats were won by the ex-communist PDS but they didn’t clear the 5% hurdle for getting any party allocation is not enough pressure to take up gerrymandering in Germany. The possible gain in seats is simply not worth the effort. And that is my point in this discussion.

Now, how would this apply to the USA? Well, imagine if a state with, say, 10 representatives no longer divided the state into districts but instead gave the office to the ten candidates with the most votes. Parties could then nominate lists of candidates, and the popular vote could then be divided amongst all candidates based on complex weighting systems, to get as close to the actual tallies as possible. So if, say, the election results were GOP 42%, DEM 44%, Greens 16%, then the state would take the top four Republicans, the top four Democrats, and the top two Greens.

2 Likes

Yup. Because saying you’ll refuse to accept the result before the vote happened, and nothing indicated it wasn’t going to be legit is exactly the same as, after evidence something unusual has happened, asking it’s audited to make sure there was nothing actually wrong.

8 Likes

At-large representation is probably the most extreme outcome. If a majority party nominates ten candidates, then all ten win a simple majority and the minority parties go entirely unrepresented.

The worst possible gerrymander is to concentrate the support for the party out of power into a single district, while giving a slim majority to the party in power in the other nine. That at least puts one voice of the opposing party in the legislature, where the at-large representation gives none.

Extreme gerrymanders have the self-correcting advantage that they are unstable. The least shift in popular sentiment can topple the slim majority that the party in power enjoys, leading to a landslide for the opposition.

1 Like

Looks like Jill Stein raised enough money for a recount.

US election recount: Jill Stein raises funds to examine Wisconsin result

2 Likes

All of this distracts from the clear and incontrovertible evidence of disenfranchisement.

Regardless of what else is done, voter purges must be removed from partisan influence!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.